Responsive emails are not working correctly?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Responsive emails are not working correctly?

We have a new team designing our emails who are brand new to Marketo, and they bought responsive email templates, and customized them for our brand. When I uploaded the HTML directly into Litmus, the templates performed beautifully. However: when I replaced the HTML in an email in Marketo and ran it again through Litmus, it was no longer responsive. It's very hard to read on a mobile device.

I have done searches in the community looking for this, but is there a deep dive which I could send them which would address this issue?
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Elizabeth_Ragla
Level 2

Re: Responsive emails are not working correctly?

We've always had issues with responsive designs in Marketo. It's quite terrible. I'll be interested to hear if there is a soultion!
Pierce_Ujjainw3
Level 9

Hi Joana and Liz.

I have great news. At the Marketo Summit this past week in San Francisco, we launched our new product, called Knak.

Knak makes building responsive Marketo emails and landing page templates simple. Its a tool for Marketers, built by Marketers. This means, there is no coding required. I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't code my way out of a paper box.

With Knak, Marketers can create a customized Marketo template, in a matter of minutes. You can customize it for your brand, with your logo and colors and social links. What's even better, is that you can do it all yourself, for a fraction of the price it used to cost, with far less hassle.

You bring your template into Marketo, and its already pre-coded with all the editable regions. So it just works.

Try it out today. The first template build is on us: www.knak.io

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has there been a solution for this yet?  I haven't been able to find anything.  You would think this would be a high priority with everyone being mobile.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

A Solution has been identified for months - it's just we're waiting for Marketo to fix it. See here for more info: ​Marketo Removing Code for Image Scaling for Outlook at 125%dpi

Pierce_Ujjainw3
Level 9

This is one technical solution, but the overall solution of needing extensive coding experience to create truly responsive emails across all clients still remains.

Dan_Stevens_

very true - which is why the knak.io templates appeared so promising/appealing (and will be, once Marketo allows the templates to include the required code - that it's currently stripping out - to allow the responsive emails to render properly in Outlook (at 125% and 150%)).

Fab_Capodicasa3
Level 4

Hi Nikki Boock,

I think we can offer an alternative solution. You can check theEmail Template Builder from Hoosh Marketing. The emails are responsive and tested across all devices, so you don’t need to worry about emails breaking or editing the html.seg?add=3901497&t=2

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Please see this thread:

Marketo Removing Code for Image Scaling for Outlook at 125%dpi

We have resolved this issue and can enable the fix for your subscription if you're interested. Please see the comments in the idea above for more details.

Dan_Stevens_

I just finished testing... AND IT WORKS!!!!  Thanks so much, Justin!  BTW, it's not just the DOCTYPE that caused the issues, but Marketo was also stripping the xmlns definitions within the <HTML> tag, just after the DOCTYPE.  These critical three lines of code are now also being preserved.