Remove group of leads from Marketo and not Salesforce

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Remove group of leads from Marketo and not Salesforce

Hi Dory,

Any lead that can be reached by at least one communication vector (email, phone or postal) is counted.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is technically a way to prevent them from syncing back. If you are sure you don't want those people back in Marketo, you can work with support to hide records from the integration user. We created a checkbox called "Hide from Marketo," checked the box where applicable, and submitted a ticket. For us, it was a way to prevent a large volume of records from syncing back when a system update was made.

Not for everyone, but technically possible.

Roxann_McGlump1
Community Manager

I was about to suggest the same thing.  Support could enable a custom sync filter that would prevent leads from syncing back down to Marketo.  The steps are pretty easy:

1. Create a boolean field on the Lead and Contact objects in SFDC called "Blocked from Marketo" (or something similar.)

2. Set the field value to true/checked for the appropriate records in Salesforce.

3. Let the new field and values sync to Marketo.

4. Open a case with Marketo Support to enable a custom sync filter based on the field you created.

5. Once the sync filter is in place, you should be able to delete the leads from Marketo without them syncing back down from SFDC at a later date.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Heather and Roxann,

IMHO, the key question here is to know why should these leads be deleted from Marketo and not SFDC and why there are later updated in SFDC.

Based on the answer to the question, it will be easier to find the best solution amongst the one that are proposed here.

If my understanding is correct, the "sync with SFDC" checkbox has a big drawback: Marketo will never know it has been unchecked, so it will not be possible to create a filter on this field in Marketo and delete all the corresponding leads.

-Greg

Roxann_McGlump1
Community Manager

Hello Gregoire,

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but Marketo will see whether the "Blocked from Marketo" box is checked, so you can use it in a filter to remove the leads.  I've used this method with many customers during my time in Support.  If the box is unchecked at a later date, the lead will then sync back down, because the system modstamp will be updated and the lead will meet the criteria to pass through the filter.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Roxann,

I just ran a test and when the "Blocked from Marketo" is checked in SFDC, the sync stops immediately and the field remains unchecked in Marketo while checked in SFDC. The other drawback is that any other field update that might have triggered the "Blocked from Marketo" field to be checked will also remain unknown to Marketo.

I'll be working on a workaround and publish it in a blog post.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni