"Change a data value" from "empty" to "x" on a SFDC custom field.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Change a data value" from "empty" to "x" on a SFDC custom field.

Is this possible to do?

I have a form set up on a landing page and we are targeting a specific industry. We're confident that most of the people to fill out the form will be from that industry. We also don't want to give too many fields in our form. We've decided to auto-populate the industry field when a person fills out the form by using the "change data value" option.

Of course, on our test run the first person to fill out the form was from another industry and the persons industry was changed in SFDC.

I went to the smart campaign to add a choice to the data value field of "If industry is empty, new value = 'x' ". My concern, however, is that the field is a drop down list of our industries and doesn't show the typical "if field is 'empty' ", "if field is 'any' ", etc. Instead it only shows the full dropdown of our industrie values in SFDC.

I manually entered "If industry is empty, new value = 'x' " and it was accepted. My concern is that I also typed in "if industry is 'sdighfaserfiygaew2342qws' new value = 'x' ", and that was also accepted.

Is Marketo only recognizing the word "empty" and will change the data value for any lead with the word "empty" in their industry field, or will it actually update a field if its empty?

Is there an easier way to do this without adding the fields into the form?
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Re: "Change a data value" from "empty" to "x" on a SFDC custom field.

I'm not sure why you don't see the normal "IS EMPTY" option when you select your picklist field. I get that option regardless of the field type. You might want to ask support if that's not showing up for you.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Change a data value" from "empty" to "x" on a SFDC custom field.

I wasn't sure either. 

My only thought was that, because it was a SFDC dependent field that it only allows those choices and not the more standard "any" or "is empty", but I'm fairly certain I've done this before.

There's also the possibility that the new UI has bugged up some of the features (when I check email numbers in an individual smart campaign, for example, I can't see the "email" or "run history" tabs unless I stretch the window across my second monitor, and thankfully I have 2 of them).

I decided to use a tape-and-bubble gum work around where I picked "Industry is NOT" and highlighted all industries in the dependent field.