Need Help With "Tagging" Articles

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Help With "Tagging" Articles

I have a situation that I could use the community's advice on. I am trying to "tag" every article on my content site so that I can use it in lead scoring and triggered campaigns. I don't necessarily want to use the URL to accomplish this.

Do you know of any creative ways I can accomplish this? Will Marketo be able to recognize anything on a page except the URL?
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Edward_Masson
Level 10

Re: Need Help With "Tagging" Articles

You could have it at the program level and use that when members are added, to then trigger an activity/change data type.

Say you have articles categorized by product solution. And you build a program for each solution. And you have landing page for each article/asset. When they take the asset and become a member you can have a smart campaign to change data/change progression etc. to an existing field or create new fields for tagging in your Marketo database based on a prospects behavior. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kelly it sounds like you want to increase the score when someone reads an article, is that right?  

I haven't seen anything that can be done without some part of the URL.  You can, of course, use a section of the URL, such as adding the tag keywords to your website structure.  Is there a specific reason you don't want to use the URL?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Edward & Steven. The reasons I was trying to find a way to "tag" articles is because we publish between 5-8 articles a week and I can't necessarily just use one or two keywords in each URL - because sometimes both articles are under a specific topic, but those words aren't in the URL.

So, right now, every time we publish an article, someone from my team has to go load the URL into the scoring campaigns that they are related to. Would be more efficient if I could simply "tag" the article in our CMS.

Any resolutions?
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best solution here would be to include a keyword for the topic within the URL.  You might have ten keywords per topic to score, but this would be far easier than your current workflow.

Example:
Topic: Automobiles
Tags: Car, Automobiles, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Truck, etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Steven - That makes a lot of sense, we could adjust our current workflow and do this going forward.

I'll explore it further. Thanks for the input.