SOLVED

n00b question - trigger email response, but ONLY send once

Go to solution
Colby_Dix
Level 5

n00b question - trigger email response, but ONLY send once

So I'm new and this may be built in and easy as can be, but I want to trigger a response email to a link clicked in a previous email.

This is a short enough list of leads, maybe 40 in this case, but a number of them clicked the link more than once. I do not want them to receive the response email more than one time.

Do I add a trigger filter that essentially uses "Was Sent Email" and "is not" with the response email selected?

Thanks for your help!

ooooh shiny.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: n00b question - trigger email response, but ONLY send once

Hi Colby,

You would want to build the following trigger campaign

Smart List
Trigger - Clicked Link in Email - www.example.com 

Flow
Send Email - Response Email

In the schedule tab, edit the smart campaign settings.  Change the qualifications rules to run each lead through the campaign flow only once.  This way, if a lead clicks on that link multiple times, they will not receive the email over and over.  Just when the click the link the first time.

If you are planning to do a batch campaign to send this email, you would set this up similarly only using the clicked link in email filter.  When you send an email through a batch campaign, Marketo will only send the email once to each email address.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Colby,

You would want to build the following trigger campaign

Smart List
Trigger - Clicked Link in Email - www.example.com 

Flow
Send Email - Response Email

In the schedule tab, edit the smart campaign settings.  Change the qualifications rules to run each lead through the campaign flow only once.  This way, if a lead clicks on that link multiple times, they will not receive the email over and over.  Just when the click the link the first time.

If you are planning to do a batch campaign to send this email, you would set this up similarly only using the clicked link in email filter.  When you send an email through a batch campaign, Marketo will only send the email once to each email address.
Mike_Cartmel
Level 1

Hi,

If you use the Trigger "Clicks Link in Email" (you can add a constraint to determine which link) and the  Flow "Send Email" the Schedule should automatically be "Each lead can run through the flow once". This is editable so make sure "only once" is selected.

In other words; what Val said whilst I was writing my reply 🙂
Edward_Masson
Level 10

You can also be extra carfull about sending again and again by adding the constraint to the Trigger 'Clicks Link in Email' of 'Min number of Times' equals 1. 

This way the Trigger will only fire once for each lead