My web optimised mobile email

Anonymous
Not applicable

My web optimised mobile email

Hi there,

Am having trouble with sending my email.  It is different than most emails as it is mobile optimised, so when viewing on a phone it uses css at the top (which has always worked) and displays the contents differently.

It seems that when I make it in the template design studio then send as a test it works perfectly,  however I don't want to create it as a template so I create it as a 'New Local Asset > Email' and then add it same way and it breaks and doesn't work as a mobile optimised email. This is whether I send a test or send it in a campaign.

Can anybody help me?

Also, I have tried styling the unsubscribe which is found in the admin section but when I send a test through it seems to add a 20px to the top between my email and the admin bit of the email. The reason I don't want this, is because our emails have a background colour of grey, and thus I can just see a 20px white in between the two that we don't want.

Thank you for your help.
Matt
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My web optimised mobile email

Android 2.1 Eclair, BlackBerry OS 5, Microsoft Windows Phone 8 and Microsoft Surface do not implement W3C's specifications for media query (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/) therefore they will never offer the same level of user experience.

That is not specific to Marketo. It remains valid for any sender in any existing system, even desktop and web-based email clients sending to those devices. 

I have been developing and adopting responsive content for a while (free open source projects).
It is likely the problem you are describing in undelated to Design Studio and Marketo. 

By default the unsubscribe link in the Admin section is neither aligned with the divisions (div) nor linked to CSS. Adding it as a div and setting properties would address the colour scheme and perhaps alignment if not done yet.

I am working for Support therefore not formally handling any custom code. However I can help you on a best effort basis.
Please let me know the email name in Design Studio. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Would I be able to communicate to via email? Your colleague Martin has set up a case for this query?

Kind regards
Matt
Anonymous
Not applicable

The email has been built in Design Studio and is called 'C4L Newsletter'. If you send yourself a test email it will work properly in apple mobile client for example. The same email has been put into Marketing Activities in 'C4L London Campaign > Introduction to C4L > Newsletter C4L' and send yourself a test and view on mobile and it comes out differently and missing all the attributes that the previous design studio remembered.

We have been sending out these emails for 2 years from our old system so I know these work properly.

Kind regards
Matt
Anonymous
Not applicable

Martin is reassigning the case to me. It is evening in Europe. I will update Monday morning.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going test on iPod 2 running iOS 4.2.1, iPod 4 on 6.1.3, iPad 1 on 5.1.1, iPhone 4S on 6.1.4, iPhone 5 on iOS 7.0 and GoTab 6 running Android Ice Cream Sandwich.

My test method consists of one cloned email removing all Marketo-specific definitions in order to send through an agnostic system (standard BSD Unix MTA) and then through Marketo.

Please keep in mind the support case focuses on problems caused or exacertabed by Design Studio. Custom coding is out of scope of Marketo Support. That is formally worked by Marketo Professional Services. I will work the code side on a best effort basis though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your email. Hopefully can find a resolution. I haven't added any Marketo specific coding as yet... I have just hit a brick wall with the email working correctly as a template (even though I dont want it to be a template), but not working in marketing activities area.

Thank you in advance
Matt
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Some useful tips for responsive mailer design - http://blog.grazitti.com/building-responsive-design-emailers/