Re: My Top Tip for a Marketo User

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Top Tip for a Marketo User

Today is my last day after nearly 5 years of working at Marketo, first in the support team and then in the Presales teams. Over that time one thing that has come up continuously is people not using programs to their full effect.

Some questions to ask yourself:
Do you use channels?
Do you know what program success is?
Do you set period costs?
Do you use tags?
Have you ever opened up the Program Analyser? Can you compare which programs and channels are the most effective on different KPIs?
Do you understand the difference between first touch and multi touch?
Do you save time by using program tokens?

Programs are fundamental to how Marketo works. The correct use of Programs will allow you to save time in the long run and is essential if you want to leverage the best reporting in Marketo.  If you're not familiar with the benefits of using programs correctly and this doesn't bother you then chances are you're just sending out batch emails to your whole database, this isn't what Marketo is all about, if it does bother you then consider refreshing your knowledge, have a look on docs.marketo.com or reach out to your consultant, CAM or support.

All the best,
Cathal

Understanding Programs - Marketo Docs - Product Docs 

Understanding Program Membership - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

2 REPLIES 2
Justin_Gray1
Level 4

Cathal,

One of our folks just socialized this post to the entire LeadMD slack. Standing round of applause.

The only item I would add is Rev Cycle Modeler. The. Most. Powerful. Tool. In. Marketo. If you aren't using RCM with a driving Lifecycle Program you can NOT show the ROI of marketing automation.

Great post.

Justin

Wyatt_Bales4
Level 4

Well said, Cathal. After being in well over 500 customer instances, the most common mistake I saw was not setting up Program Success which is really unfortunate when it comes time to try and recognize revenue attribution.

Good luck on your next step!