Re: Moving Programs from 1 Workspace to Another with Members

Anonymous
Not applicable

Moving Programs from 1 Workspace to Another with Members

Hello Marketo folks,

So we've recently expanded the number of workspaces that we use, and I am looking to bring a bunch of older programs (w/members) from the old workspaces to the new ones.

Now, I know, as it stands this is not possible, but I believe I might have found a workaround to this (if this hasn't been found already), but I want to pass it by the community and Marketo before I do a large scale program relocation.

So I made a test program with 10 Members in my old partition. Obviously, at this stage I can't move the program because it has members. I then went to my lead partitions, and I removed all leads from this old partition and reassigned them to a new lead partition inside a new workspace that I want to move the program to. Now, when I check the Program, there are 0 Members (because the partition has no leads). I can then move the program (via folders of course) to my new workspace and all of the leads reappear because this is the lead partition where they now live. I don't see any problems with Program member statuses or anything, so I'm assuming this solution works.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Obviously, you will run into issues where you will need to recreate forms, smart lists, and other things that were unique to the old workspace... but other than those issues, is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Thanks,
Chris
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Interesting solution, thank you for sharing. When moving Programs across Workspaces, we usually export members to a static list within the same Program, then remove the members, move the Program, and add the members to the Program again. Since you are moving it to another workspace with another partition, I think your solution is preferred. I have clearly not used it before, so I can't give any feedback on any side effects, however, my gut feeling says that it should work fine. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's good. So far it seems to be working fine. I imagine the main side effects would be that I would have to reactivate any trigger Campaigns in order have them process correctly (the guide on moving campaigns mentions this). Otherwise, I haven't seen any negative side effects so far. I will keep this thread updated if I find any.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an Update.

So far my solution has worked fine. I moved 249 programs with members to a new workspace and there is no issue. The programs and reports that accompany them are all working properly. So I can't say I've seen any down side to it so far. I'll repost on this thread if I find any sort of problem, but so far so good!
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you remove the leads then reimport them?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's the thing, Abel, I didn't! What you would need to do is simply remove all of the leads from one workspace by using lead partitions - no need to remove leads from program or reimport them. The easiest way is to simply remove all leads (you can do this temporarily even) from your work space, move the programs to wherever they need to go, and then simply put the members back inside by editing which workspaces can use which lead partition. Let me know if you need a biy more detail or something - I'm happy to help.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

If you could provide more detail or a link on how to do this, that would be great.

abel
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll get back to you on this soon enough. Just recovering from the holiday hangovers 🙂 Happy to help.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have more info, Chris, that wuld be great. Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chris,

Your information helped me a lot!
Thanks!

Tad