Re: Microsoft PowerBI integration with Marketo

Jonathan_Ng2
Level 3

Microsoft PowerBI integration with Marketo

Is anyone using, or have had success with integrating PowerBI with Marketo?  We've been trying unsuccessfully to get the two to sync up.  We first ran into API call limits, which we upgraded, but even after upgrading PowerBI fails during the data import phase.  I've gone through the instructions multiple times, upped our API limits clear beyond what is needed, but it still isn't working.

Don't understand what's going on.  Any suggestions or tips?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jonathan Ng​,

Great question. But to generate more feedback, please MOVE your discussion to Products & Support and tag it under "Integrations"!

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW I get this:

Activity Id:109ee0e2-f16d-49d8-976f-39928e3a4942
Request Id:660cadf4-6974-b23c-123d-e890ca780e9d
Status Code:400

from PowerBI. Are you having the same error?

Jonathan_Ng2
Level 3

Hi Kevin, I got the same status code for the error, but it has different activity and request id info.  Did you notice that PowerBi has some additional features added to it this past week?  The reporting team said it looks like the dashboard grew a bit.

PowerBI error code.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting the same error with Power BI / Marketo as well.

I did see on the Marketo side that the error code is 603 - user was authenticated successfully but still didn't have sufficient privileges.  I've updated the role definition with every privilege possible but still no luck.

I don't know if there's a minimum time before the updated user/role is refreshed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have set this up on my demo account without any issues, once I found Microsoft's instructions.

First, you need to make sure you have an API only user. They should not have any other permissions besides API access and you should check that little API only box when you set them up. If your user role for the API only was created a while ago, you should create a brand new role and reissue that to the user. There's a quirk with the REST API where if you need permissions that weren't out when you created the role, you need to recreate the role. Most of the time, recreating the role, the user, and the service fixes these permission issues.

Once you have the user, then you have to set up a custom service. I realize this is very confusing, but when it says to enter the user name and password in PowerBI, you actually need to enter the client id and client secret. Once I did that, it worked fine.

Here's the step by step instructions from Microsoft that I followed to set it up: https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/462795-marketo

Jonathan_Ng2
Level 3

Are you finding that it uses a crazy amount of API calls to get 12 months worth of data?  We don't have a particularly huge database, less than 200k and we aren't super active with the database, roughly 2-3 emails per week and it doesn't go to the entire database.  We are finding that we can blow through the free 10k API calls without getting the data.  We tried bumping it at one time, but it looked like it was easily surpassing 80k calls.  How many calls are you guys going through?

Neil_Robertson6
Level 5

It's a great connection  but with the limits per day on API calls you have literally no hope of getting a large chunk of data to PowerBI.  The issuue is further compouned by the fact that PowerBI (I will assumee you are on the Free edition) also has limits on the SIZE of the data it collects.