Merging anonymous lead data and cookie with real lead

Anthony_Pica
Level 4

Merging anonymous lead data and cookie with real lead

Does Marketo merge cookies? Can a lead have multiple cookies? Here's a scenario below to better explain:

1. A user browses our website for a couple weeks. There's an anonymous lead in Marketo with weeks worth of web activity.
2. Weeks later, the same user installs our app on the AppExchange, and as a result, a lead is created* in Salesforce and subsequently synced to Marketo.
3. We send an email to the lead that came from the AppExchange, he/she clicks a link in the email and visits our web page. They're cookied and web activity is logged.

Is that anonymous lead from weeks ago automatically merged with the lead from the AppExchange?

*Note: In order to install an app on the AppExchange the user must be logged into the AppExchange, so, when they install the app, the AppExchange automatically adds a lead record to our Salesforce org with their contact info.
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Merging anonymous lead data and cookie with real lead

Because the second record is created in Salesforce, I would expect these leads to not merge automatically.  For example, if the lead became known in step 1, there would still be a duplicate set of leads.
Anthony_Pica
Level 4

Re: Merging anonymous lead data and cookie with real lead

I was expecting them to not merge automatically either, thanks Steven.

I'm still wondering about step 3 though: after the known lead clicks the link in the email, is the new cookie merged with the existing anonymous cookie? Or is it overwritten? Is the data from the old/existing anonymous lead merged over or lost?