Merge Leads Error

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merge Leads Error

Morning all!

I'm running into something I haven't experienced before:

I've been working on merging some duplicate leads (routine process... selecting two, and either clicking the merge leads button, or right-clicking and going into the merge flow that way.). I select which fields I want to "keep," continue... and then I've been getting either a "reference id" error or a "field custom validation exception." I re-visited the setup of our contact and leads in SF, to review validation rules but, there don't seem to be issue there.

The interesting thing is more this: I try to merge... I get an error... I try to merge... I get an error... I try it again a few minutes later... it merges totally fine, no problems at all.

I haven't seen this happen before so I'm curious if there's something else going on? Also, since it seems to resolve itself, and I've merged what I want to merge now, it's not a pressing issue but, curious if there's something I should be looking into to minimize it happening down the way?

Thanks! - Jen
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Merge Leads Error

Hi Jen,

We have had an on-going ticket logged with marketo regarding a similar situtation. Marketo kepts referencing an issue with the SFDC Sync profile. However, we have had our SFDC Integration team review the profile as well as additional scenarios and still are encountering issues. Our case is now escalated up to engineering and we are waiting on their research. I'll keep you posted if there is any discovery. 

Curious if you have noticed any duplicate records being created in your instance from users clicking on a link in one browser and then perhaps filling out the form in another browser and there becomes a disconnet so you end up with 2 records in the system. Part of the history initiated on one record and the other half on a net new record. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Merge Leads Error

Interesting Janet! Would love to know what you find out. I haven't seen this issue in the past so not sure what might be triggering it.

We HAD set up a validation rule for 2 custom fields (Lead Source and Lead Source Details)... originally I thought that was the issue, as those were presented in the "conflict" fields I had to choose  from when I went through the merge field data selection process. However, I looked in SF, and we were given validation approval access," so that didn't seem to be an issue... sure enough...a few tries later, the merge went through just fine. Then, following that, I did another, and got the same error though, this time there weren't conflicts with Lead Source/Lead Source Detail (those fields weren't presented to choose from) but, rather, fields that didn't have validation rules on them (eg, phone number.)  ***That said, perhaps it has nothing to do with the fields that are conflicting since technically all fields are merging, whether or not there's a conflict.

Again... would get the error a few times, but then miracuslously, doing the exact same thing again without changing any settings, it would merge just fine.

I'm sure there's a logical reason for it, but would love to resolve it so future merges are as easy as they used to be! 🙂

- Jen