Marketo Social Receiving Data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Social Receiving Data

Hey guys,

We've noticed that since we've started using the new Marketo Social buttons we've gotten less mileage out of our social links. Then my CEO went to share something and he felt like it was making him sign into Marketo, that he was going to be giving social data to Marketo, and was even perturbed that now the whole world knows we're using Marketo.

Has anyone else noticed a dropoff in social because of these new sharing steps?
Is there any way to configure the social so it doesn't force a popup? (Or at least whitelabel it?)
What data is Marketo scraping from people who share from us?

All in all, it seems like the new social buttons are using some not-best-practices. 

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks gang!

0EM50000000Qy7j.jpg
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marketo Social Receiving Data

My European colleagues are very put off by the new social buttons. They find them too invasive. I'm just happy that in Internet Explorer the button renders and I've stopped getting complaints that they see an empty box with the word twitter in it. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Justin,

All of the MSM apps are opt-in. We ask the user once (the first time they interact with an MSM app to give us permission to take their publicly available information and use the API to post as them. It is a standard practive for third-party apps on the major social networks.

We do not own the data, you do. We do not data mine friends lists, connections, or personal info beyond what is listed below. We collect the most basic info and allow you to add a profile capture piece if you want to collect more.

This is what we collect on social apps (not the same as Social Form Fill):

LinkedIn:
  • First Name
  • Last Name
  • Title
  • Company
  • Reach (Number of connections)
Twitter:
  • Display Name, which gets broken up into First Name and Last Name fields in Marketo.
  • Photo URL
  • Page URL
  • Reach (number of Followers)
Facebook:
  • First Name
  • Last Name
  • Page URL
  • Photo URL
  • Reach (number of friends)
The default social app is branded as "Marketo Social," but you can get your apps branded as your company. The service is called "Social Application Branding." 
Anonymous
Not applicable

"It is a standard practive for third-party apps on the major social networks." I'm seeing this more and more, but I'm not sure it's a "standard practice" at this point. It would be really nice if we had the option to have a simple click-to-share option since our visitors are pretty socially challenged and even getting a Tweet is asking a lot.

How do I go about finding the configuration for "Social Application Branding" so I can at least slap our logo on there.

Thanks very much!