Marketo Opportunity Role experience in Marketo UI

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Opportunity Role experience in Marketo UI

Wanted to understand where does opportunity role object appear in the marketo UI. Does opportunity role object is meant to connect lead and opportunity in Lead Database. If this is so under lead database if a opportunity does appear under a selected lead then does that mean opportunity role api was invoked to connect lead and opportunity but when i tried invoking API of opportunity role with a leadId and an externalOpportunityId but i could not see a opportunity info getting added to lead specific to the leadId mentioned.

Could some one give me a clear picture of opportunity and opportunity role along with its assosiation with lead and lead database.

3 REPLIES 3
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Marketo Opportunity Role experience in Marketo UI

Opportunity role is indeed the table that links opportunities and leads. As that link can be an N-N relationship (each lead can be involved in many oppies and each oppy can involve many leads),  the way you can simulate this in a relational database is to have a junction table.

These API's only work if you are not connected to a CRM

Of course, the opportunity and the lead need to be created prior to the creation of the opportunity role.

Once done, the opportunity should appear in the "opportunity" tab in the lead detail page

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. So through APIs you wanted me to create a lead then an opportunity using separate APIs. Once that is done invoke the API for opportunity role providing the leadId and externalOpportunityId created. ? So then the opportunity created would appear under the lead created under the lead database ?

Is my understanding correct ?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Yes, this is correct. The lead and the opportunity first, then the opportunity role. You cannot create the opportunity role is the leadID and ExternalOpportunityID do not correspond to existing records in the database.

-Greg