SOLVED

Marketo New interface

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo New interface

Just wondering - am I the only one who dislikes the new interface and UI Marketo have released?

It's done nothing to enhance my experience, in fact I now find it feels flaky and flat. It's lost its character completely for me.

Aesthetically - 3/10
Functionality - Hasn't changed
Usability - 5/10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marketo New interface

Rashida, I hear you loud and clear.

We tried very hard to minimize the actual changes.  Smart campaigns, Landing Pages, Emails, Reports...in fact every single object in Marketo works exactly as it did before.  You aren't in a new country.  You are actually in the same house.  We just pained the walls.  The furniture is exactly where it was.  Nothing moved. (Except the global nav)

Supporting old browsers is always difficult because of JavaScript issues.  However, try to support as many as possible.

We don't think of Marketo as "broke" or "not broke".  We have a vision of our product and where it will go.  We envision it lightning fast, bug free, easy to achieve and analyze results and integrated to all the systems you use like your website or google adwords to name a few.  We envision a platform that works well on todays devices and tomorrows.  It clearly isn't there yet, but this is our vision and mission.

As we move forward, we will be as communicative as possible and minimize any disruptions.  I care deeply about your experience and try to make it delightful every day.

I've forwarded your post to Cheryl to ensure that you are on the communication channels we send out.  We sent out alot for this one, but some people slipped past us.

One value we have at Marketo is "Speak the Truth".  We don't fool ourselves or ignore feedback.  I appreciate your truth and encourage you to keep it up.

Glen Lipka
VP, User Experience

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rashida,

I think once everyone gets used to the new UI it will become easier to use.  We are just used to the old interface and it will take some time to adjust. I'm sure next month or the month after there will be an update to make it even better and we wont even miss the old interface! 
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree about the flakiness of the interface. In complex smart lists, the auto populate doesn't always work properly. I do assume that those issues will be addressed. From an aesthetic perspective I figure we'll get used to it.

My biggest gripe about the UI is that there's a lot of margins/padding around elements. When you have simple smart lists/flows, that's not a big deal--but when you have complex smart lists/flows it creates a lot more scrolling up and down. And yes, i know you can collapse the elements, but with complex conditions, they get truncated.

Brigid_Greenwa2
Level 4

I think it gearing them up for mobile interface (which will be awesome) and they will work through some customer feedback in the early stages of this rollout.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there are better ways to introduce new UI changes, i.e. create a beta version for customers to feedback on whilst the current environment is not upgraded.

I really can't see how someone could manage complex campaigns from a mobile so to go to this length and ruin what was a perfectly good and stable UI is a bit harsh for customers to 'get used to'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Functionality hasnt changed <- this is the BIGGIE!! 

Remember when Windows 8 was a total flop because it was so unintuitive? Well looks like Marketo desgined a Windows 8-like UI so not surprising all the questions we are seeing pop up in the discussions. Id prefer to look at the same UI and have some more functionality thrown in. It is very unintuitive and overall not a good move. Im sure their support lines are going wacky with questions about how to do anything. As for mobile, are we really going to be using mobile to manage Marketo? I dont think so.

I do miss the menu bar immensely though 😞
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am so happy the menu bar is gone. Best part of the update.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree -- not a fan of the changes. I don't like the colors (all those grays and random jewel tones!) and I don't like all the empty space and zoomed feel. 

I still love what Marketo does for my company and the functionality, but these UI changes are not the best.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are several motivators behind the style upgrade.

1. Make more room for fingers.  Laptops are getting more touch compatible.  Tablets are becomming closer to laptops (example: surface 3).  Fingers are a good UI sometimes.  But to make room for that, we need to spread some things apart.
  2. Consistency.  We had gotten ourselves into a weird place where some of the UI was new and some old.  We needed to clean up.
  3. Prepare for a client-side framework upgrade.  There is a specific technology we use that we want to upgrade.  This look change helped get us prepared for that.
  4. Reinvent the navigation.  We are getting more "Apps" like SEO, RTP, Cal and others.  We need a way to navigate better.  The superball accomplishes that.  Next is to complete reinvent the left-hand tree.  This will change the concept of design studio, lead database, etc.  It will be easier to organize and find what you need.

No change is universally loved.  Just ask Facebook everytime they change something.  But Facebook knows (as do we) that you will get used to the new thing and then relax.  I hear your feedback and we are squashing bugs.  However, so far, our Support lines have been fine, no high surges of activity to report.

Keep the feedback coming.  This is a partnership and we are all in this together.

Here are some cool Change quotes:
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_change.html

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change is perfectly fine by me. Changing house is acceptable. Marketo just asked me to move country, change house and job and still expects me to be able to work in the same way as I have been - and that was all not even communicated as a heads up (Personally I didn't get any updates)

The overload of changes is what I have issues with. I don't appreciate my service being switched to something based on minority feedback - and Facebook changes are hardly a comparison. They update in increments last time I logged in.

Did Marketo do any research behind what platforms people use.. PC, tablets, mobile etc?

What percentage of users were considered when designing the new UI I wonder - You don't even support IE8 so perhaps you should work on fixing the existing technology instead of jumping multiple hurdles and falling flat at the end of it to pick up peeved responses.

Sometimes - Marketo really needs to slow down. "If it ain't broke, why try and fix it?"