Marketo and SFDC Sync Options

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo and SFDC Sync Options

Need advice from anyone about what "activities" to click in Marketo and SFC sync options. Currently, we have selected "sales email sent". We assume selecting additional activities will ultimately clutter our Marketo instance and reduce its performance. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Marketo and SFDC Sync Options

Hi Gary Algiene​,

Keep it to minimum. Stuffing the SFDC activity history with plenty of tasks has many drawbacks :

• Sales real activities get lost in the middle of tens of Marketo generated tasks
  • You will end up having data storage issues in SFDC because of literally millions of tasks (real live return on experience )
  • No one will read these tasks whatsoever

The ones you can check :

• fills out forms
  • sales emails ones (send, opened, clicked)

The ones you should really avoid :

• send email
  • email delivered
  • email opened

The ones that have no interest in SFDC

• added to list
  • remove from flow
  • remove from list

-Greg

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Actually, our sales organization references "opened email" before making outbound calls so you should sync up with your sales team first about what all they need, but otherwise I agree with everything Grégoire Michel​ has mentioned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It should not reduce the performance of Marketo if you add more activities.  You should sync over all of the activities you wish to use to include leads in campaigns and to report on the effectiveness of your campaigns and programs.

The only performance hit you will see is that the SFDC sync will take longer with more data to sync.

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Gary,

All of these activities will be tracked in Marketo anyway.  The question is which ones do you want pushed to SFDC.

For that I agree with Greg.  Start with a few and see how you like it, you can always add more.

John

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Yup. Our sales team prefers to have the send/opened/delivered info tracked in the SFDC activities so it's all in one place (as opposed to using Sales Insight for only that reason) because that's where they track emails they've sent. It helps them make sure they're not barraging contacts with multiple emails a day. But of course, that depends on the company and the sales team.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jennifer and All,

Remember, All email information is available in sales insight in a more condensed way and furthermore, without consuming any storage in SFDC.

It may make sense to make sales aware of sales insight, I observe that they often underuse it and ask for information that is precisely available there.

-Greg

Amber_Hobson
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Along the same lines with this, we're testing out syncing our sales emails that the reps do with tasks. My problem is that we turned it on yesterday and sent out 3 emails, but now the tasks show the due date for one of them from 11/23. Any idea why my due date wouldn't be the day the email actually went out?