SOLVED

Marketo and CRM database integration - how best to setup flow of information?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo and CRM database integration - how best to setup flow of information?

We are currently setting up integration between Marketo and NetSuite. Have just been told that Marketo doesn't handle the flow of one to many sets of data in the database (for example - I have a contact who has taken multiple training courses. It seems that Marketo will only provide me with the most recent training course that contact has taken, rather than all of the courses). 

If I want to target messages based on training courses taken - would I be best off running a query in NetSuite and building a smartlist in Marketo each time I want to send a targeted mail? If this isn't the best way to handle this scenario - any recommendations on how we should approach it?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marketo and CRM database integration - how best to setup flow of information?

You are right, Marketo doesn't handle one to many relationships. So as per default you will only receive the most recent 'course', because Marketo is updating/overwriting this field in the db each time the data gets updated.
In your specific case it looks like the best would be to find a way how to flatten up the data coming from NetSuite and then importing it into Marketo based on your needs. That's a custom job that would require more specific research. The first approach that comes to mind is doing this by creating custom fields for each training and with values false/true to identify if a lead or record attend a specific training. A downside of this is that you'll end up with hundreds of custom fields if you have many different courses.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marketo and CRM database integration - how best to setup flow of information?

You are right, Marketo doesn't handle one to many relationships. So as per default you will only receive the most recent 'course', because Marketo is updating/overwriting this field in the db each time the data gets updated.
In your specific case it looks like the best would be to find a way how to flatten up the data coming from NetSuite and then importing it into Marketo based on your needs. That's a custom job that would require more specific research. The first approach that comes to mind is doing this by creating custom fields for each training and with values false/true to identify if a lead or record attend a specific training. A downside of this is that you'll end up with hundreds of custom fields if you have many different courses.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Random thought - you should check in with Eric Hollebone of Algonquin College - a Marketo powerhouse amongs other skill sets. He used to have a site with tips but that is gone.  He may have helpful hints.