Marketo Analytics with Power BI Reporting?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Analytics with Power BI Reporting?

Has anyone had any success getting their Marketo data into Power BI using this out of the box integration? We went through all the steps documented in this Microsoft article​, but we keep receiving Marketo notifications for web services errors.

It's the same error each time. Error code 606: Max rate limit ‘%s’ exceeded with in ‘%s’ secs. The number of calls in the past 20 seconds was greater than 100.

We selected the minimum amount of data -- it asks how many months to load, and we selected "1" -- and for fives days running it made anywhere from 23,000 to 43,000 API calls each day... but that never resulted in a working dashboard.

If we keep letting it grind along, will we eventually get reports? Or should we give up on this and build something on our own? (Or is there a way to modify it to avoid those errors and eventually get the data we need?)

30 REPLIES 30
Ashley_Langfor2
Level 2 - Champion

Re: Marketo Analytics with Power BI Reporting?

Hi Osman,

I tried using Power BI as well. It never worked. The only thing that it did was use all my API calls for one day. The only other thing I tried to sync was Google Anaytics and it worked but sadly Marketo never did.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Ashley! Yes -- that's all I've gotten out of it too. Chewing up our API calls.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

+1, it blows.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup. My feelings about it thus far.

Mark_Price
Level 7

If this is the only thing you have connected to Marketo, it seems like Power BI does not respect Marketo's API limitations. Maybe try working with the vendor's support.

Haven't used Power BI, but I've been successful in extracting the data via custom code and the API:

http://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/bulk-extract/

http://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/lead-database/activities/#query

There may be solutions in launchpoint for the data extract.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Good idea. Thanks, Mark! Going to reply on that documentation page and see if one of the contributors can't help us out.

We have some other things that are connected to Marketo, but those have predictable patterns and much smaller volumes of API calls, so I'm certain those errors are being caused by Power BI.

Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

Can someone please share some snapshots of dashboards that have been created using Power BI? We are currently exploring data dashboarding tools like Tableau, Qlik etc.

Ashley_Langfor2
Level 2 - Champion

It sounds like nobody here was able to get it to work.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I agree - the out of the box reporting/integration is bad. We use the API to extract data each evening to a separate data warehouse. And now have a very flexible environment (slowly phasing out our reliance of RCE, due to all its recent issues) to do both ad-hoc and real-time analysis. Here's a very small sample of our dashboards/reports:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

And our custom "opportunity influence analyzer":

pastedImage_0.png