We are having the exact same issue, and I'm due in the next couple of weeks to look into a solution for this. If I find any simpler solutions (not too hopeful TBH!) I'll comment on them here, appreciate it if you can update this post with anything you find as well.
Will do. I'm going to be posting something to the Power BI community about the issues with the connector and see if that won't draw some response from Microsoft.
I'll be sure to post here if we come up with some solution or make some headway on this.
Might be worth taking a look at Bedrock data here in Boston. We're friendly with them and they recently launched a product that allows you to feed data out of Marketo into an automated cloud data warehouse that you can use as a data source for PowerBI (or whatever).
It gives you tables you can point to directly from your PowerBI. It gets around the API uses by pre-loading the warehouse, and then bringing updates from there rather than continuously trying to pull data and hitting limits.
Honestly, we'd prefer to get Microsoft connecter working first and see what we can get from that — but if that doesn't happen we'll need to look at other options... so we may as well begin compiling a list.
Thanks again, Matthew! Have a great weekend!
Bedrock was high on our list for a viable solution to getting to working data. Would encourage you to take a good look at it.
So, I posted my issue to the BI Community. I'd love it if anyone interested in the connector — particularly those who weren't able to get it working — would post behind me with whatever details they can provide about their issues and to express their interest in the connector.
A quick, temporarily workaround that worked for me:
This way I can export any column without restriction while I learn to deal with the API. I can also do it for any subset of the Database (smart lists). The VBA script is very simple, works on demand too.
Works ok so far. 30 min set up.