Re: Marketo Ad Network Reporting

ckim
Level 2

Marketo Ad Network Reporting

Hello Community,

I am working with a client on setting up ad network integrations to Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google Ads.  Setting up the integration and sending audience data is pretty standard.

My question is, is reporting data from the different social platforms such as impressions, clicks, who clicked, etc sent back to Marketo for reporting purposes? If so, how are those reports set up? Are they set up by utilizing smart lists to identify?

Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Heloise_Briere1
Level 2

Hello @ckim 

The high-level reporting metrics (views, clicks) from Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google ad platforms will not be pushed to Marketo Engage despite their integration.

On the ad network side, if you target a Marketo audience (one of the functionalities available with the integration), you should be able to retrieve from the ad network reporting section how this audience is performing.

On the Marketo side, for lead gen ad campaigns (e.g. lead capture, form fill), you can track the number of leads generated by each ad network/ad campaign - create a Marketo program per ad network/ad campaign .

The 2 main benefits of the integration are:

• Send targeted audiences to ad networks: Create targeted audiences in Marketo (based on their past behavior, lifecycle stage, etc.) and push them to these networks for better ad targeting.
  • Ingest lead data: When a form is filled (via an actual form or a "subscribe" button) on Facebook, LinkedIn, or via Google Ads, lead data are sent to Marketo (ideally you have a dedicated Marketo program for each type of platform/campaign) to track ad campaign performance.

Here is an overview of the functionalities available with the ad network integration.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.57.49 AM.png

Marketo Measure offers more detailed ad reporting by capturing the specific ad copy and creative that the converted lead engaged with. This level of detail is valuable for media planners to optimize their ads and campaigns. I don't believe the standard Marketo Engage ad network integration provides this level of granularity.

I hope this helps!

Heloise Briere
ckim
Level 2

Hello Heloise,

We know who the people are as they are target audience in Marketo.

What I'm trying to figure out is to see who clicked on Facebook, LInkedIn, Google ads but those platforms, although they know who, won't provide that information for privacy reasons. I'm trying to figure out how to tie the data back to the audience data that Marketo knows.

Seems like we will never get that 1:1 data but have to make some educated guesses based on certain parameters.

Zoe_Forman
Level 9 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Hi  @ckim Are you using UTM parameters for tracking First/Last: Source | Medium | Campaign etc?

If you are then you can set up Smart lists for reporting.

ckim
Level 2

We will be utilizing UTM parameters, but how will Marketo know what those parameters are?  The CTA for these ads is just to a landing page WITHOUT a form.

What kind of smart list would I set up to track these parameters?

ckim
Level 2

I don't think this is possible, but when we're sending the audience data to Facebook, as an example, can we insert a dynamic value from the audience list (some ID) into the utm_id field when the ad is served to the individual?

ckim
Level 2

Hi Zoe,

I have a few follow-up questions if I can pick your brain.

1. We obtained the audience list from external data sources and imported it into Marketo. Subsequently, we synchronized this data with Facebook and LinkedIn using the ad integrations.
    a. Does Marketo apply cookies to these contacts when we import them and sync them to social media platforms?

2. We implemented UTM parameters to track user journeys from social media advertisements to a standard web page (not a Marketo landing page).

1. Since there's no form for users to complete, we employed a Querystring constraint to identify engaged individuals. However, if these users aren't cookied, will we still be able to detect the querystring?