I have a few questions about the Marketing Suspend option.
1) Does Marketo (system generated) mark anyone as 'Marketing Suspended'?
2) If so, how long does the lead/contact stay as 'Marketing Suspended'?
3) Can we keep someone in 'Marketing Suspended' forever?
5) Is there a best practice of removing someone from marketing suspend after a certain amount of time?
We have just added a 'suspend reason' in Marketo & SFDC so that we know why these leads are suspended. The problem we have run into in the past is that there are tons of people marked as 'Marketing Suspended' but have no idea why.
Thank you in advance!
Marketing Suspended is a status provided for you to mark leads and prevent them from receiving any emails from you, but it is completely subjective. Marketo will not automatically suspend/un-suspend any leads. The decision to do so is yours, and can be made at anytime. This means that you could, indeed, keep a lead suspended indefinitely.
As for best practices, there isn't a one size fits all rule. It all comes down to how your business runs, and what works best for you.
Also, to see how someone was suspended you can look at heir activity history, but that will only show you what action suspended them (smart campaign, manual edit, etc), not necessarily the reason for it.
1) Yes -> https://docs.marketo.com/display/DOCS/Hard+and+Soft+Bounces+in+Email. When a soft bounce occurs, this is set to true.
2) Permanently. You must reset it back to false yourself.
3) No. Even if you don't switch the field back to false, Marketo will know whether the most recent suspension occurred in the last 24 hours. If it did not, the lead still qualifies for mailings.
4) You can change field back to false after 24hrs, but it's not necessary. If you are wondering who is truly suspended you can create a smart list where suspended = true and suspended at = <24 hrs.
This is all good information for Email Suspended, but Mandy was asking about Marketing Suspended. Email Suspended happens automatically due to email bounces, and Marketing Suspended is decided by the Marketo user.
John Clark I am starting to use Marketing Suspended for the first time and I want to make a note about why the person was suspended so I can remember for future. In the lead record, I see the field label "Marketing Suspended Cause" but there is not field to fill in. I checked the field mapping in admin. I see the field there, type = string and it won't let me change to see other options. Any ideas? Thanks!
Can we only unsuspend after 24 hours or can we do it immediately?
A set of 100 emails were sent to a client, their anti-spam indicated these emails were spam and a set of 20 people go suspended.
I was wondering can we reset suspension in bulk or do we need to do it one by one?
I believe the leads you are talking about are "Email Suspended". This field "Email Suspended" is a system driven field. This also have another field called "Email Suspended At". This field stores the time stamp when the lead got marked as "Email Suspended". Marketo checks this timestamp field and if it is 24 hour older then it will include that lead while sending the email otherwise it'll decline that. So you can't un-suspend the leads in anyway. You have to wait.
Hope this will help.