Many to Many Custom Objects: Can the intermediary object link 1 object connected to a person and 1 object connected to a company?

jessbib1
Level 1

Many to Many Custom Objects: Can the intermediary object link 1 object connected to a person and 1 object connected to a company?

I want to determine if Marketo Custom Objects support this use case:

We sell software subscriptions. An account (company) can have many subscriptions. Subscriptions can have many users (people). Users can be on many subscriptions.

In Salesforce, some Subscription Users are on the account as contacts, and other Subscription Users are unconverted leads (not ideal, I know, but not on the table to change at this point).

I'd like to use Marketo Custom Objects to create relationships among people who are members of a subscription and the subscription. I want the subscription to connect at the company level so that only one object needs to be created and updated. If the subscription was connected at the person level, we'd need to create and update the subscription object multiple times over for each person, and I don't want to do that.

Here's what I am thinking:

1. Standard Marketo Person (lead) Object links to a Custom Marketo Object: Membership

2. Standard Marketo Company Object links to a Custom Marketo Object: Subscription

3. Custom Marketo Object: Membership links to Custom Marketo Object: Subscription 

Then, I'd like to create another Custom Marketo Object: Usage that links to Custom Marketo Object: Membership.

The Membership Object would contain fields such as User role, User status, User Join Date, User Removed Date, etc

The Subscription Object would contain fields such as Subscription Status, Plan, Start Date, End Date, etc

The Usage Object would contain fields such as Date First Used, Date Last Used, etc

I'm hoping this would allow us multiple ways to use Smart Lists to identify Subscription users.

• If they're a contact on an account with a subscription: Has Subscription with Membership
  • If they're not a contact on an account but a lead who is on a subscription (I assume this would target users who qualify in the bullet above as well): Has Membership with Subscription
  • I'd want to be able to filter by multiple objects in which the usage is specific to the subscription: Has Membership with Subscription with Usage

Here's a basic flow chart of what I'm imagining:

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 10.55.37 AM.png

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with setting up objects in this way if it is possible, or if there's another path forward. A big assumption I'm making is that a custom object connected to the person can be linked to a custom object connected to a company, even if the person isn't linked to the company.

Tags (1)