Managing images across multiple workspaces

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Managing images across multiple workspaces

We have 21 country workspaces in our instance of Marketo (and each of the country marketers only have access to their specific workspace).  Each workspace in Design Studio includes sub-folders within the main Images folder: COMMON (for common images like logos, button and other reusable elements) and CAMPAIGN (for campaign-specific images like custom email banners, etc).  While working in one of the country workspaces today, I attempted to upload an image to the COMMON folder (actually the folder is named "COMMON (USA)" since folder names must be unique).   After clicking the UPLOAD button, nothing uploaded.  After further investigation, I found out that this same image also existed within the GLOBAL/DEFAULT workspace.  So is true that all images - regardless of which workspace they exist - must be uniquely named?  If so, can the community share some best practices for managing images across multiple workspaces?
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Managing images across multiple workspaces

That's correct Dan.  Each file you upload will have to carry a unique name.  

For multiple workspaces, I would recommend managing shared files in the Default workspace.  Since everyone will be using these same images, they should definitely be located in a single location.  

However, if you would like to upload the same image to your own workspace, name it differently by adding a prefix/postfix to it.  

Example:
If "logo.jpg" is in the Default workspace and you would like to upload the same image into your workspace, rename it to "danslogo.jpg".  Assuming your workspace is called "Dan's Workspace"

Be consistent with your naming structure like adding "dans" to all of your images.

Hope that helps.  
Chris_Francis
Level 4

Re: Managing images across multiple workspaces

I would really suggest that Marketo update and improve on this functionality.  This is just not how people work.  I might have the same image name (callout.jpg) across multiple campaigns in the same workspace and would just organize them by folder.  Folders then basically do nothing because the prefix I now have to add gives me the same information.  And I now have to rename all of my art images before uploading with the campaign prefix appended as opposed to just dropping the art into a campaign folder.

This for me and my organization is a workflow nightmare.  I may have to investigate other CDN solutions to supplement Marketos File System in order to not break my workflow.