I don't know if this is normal, but we made some changes to an email template that we had an email draft using, and when we approved the template changes, the email draft stopped having the association to the template. Where it identifies the template the email was using, now it says "None". How do I fix this? Is this expected?
We used to use Pardot, and making changes to the template translated in changes to the email that was using that template. I was expecting this same result with Marketo templates.
Any advice is appreciated.
I haven't had this happen but when you make changes to the Email Template is creates a draft for all the emails using that template. The only time I create the template break is when I take the email HTML to Dreamweaver for edits and then copy and past it back in. Makes sense it breaks in that case (and it's not best practice to do this )
Yeah it sounds like in the draft someone had clicked HTML Tools > Replace HTML and made changes that broke it from the template. In that case, it would remain broken. If you discard the draft, you can create a new draft that will receive the changes from the template. However, if that was just a "Draft" (not "Approved with Draft") then you would have to delete it and create a new email if you wanted the template changes to take effect.
If you have any emails in either "Draft" or "Approved with Draft" state then the pre-existing draft will get the changes to the underlying template that you just approved. It will also include any of the pre-existing modifications that the draft had. It basically tries to merge the two.