SOLVED

Re: Lead Source - Tracking traffic sources

Go to solution
Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Michael Collins​,

If you're talking about the querysting utm_medium, yes you will need to make sure you tag your urls correctly so that the information (utm_medium=PPC, utm_medium=SocialAds, etc.) will correctly be sent out to Marketo. You will automatically get the Referrer populated in Marketo though.

Hope this answers your question

Anonymous
Not applicable

In what field is the referrer populated?

So smart list of Fills in Form…and then?

How does that work for figuring out if someone came to our site via an organic search or came directly – so there was no URL with paramaters clicked on…

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

The Referrer is available in Marketo. Marketo looks at where the visit is coming from, and adds this data to the lead.

This is how I differentiate an Organic Visit to a Direct Visit:

Organic Visit:

Trigger - Visits Web Page

Web Page is any
Querystring not contains in (14) ‘gclid’; ‘aclk’; ‘utm_medium=SocialAds’; ...
Referrer contains in (5) ‘google.’; ‘duckduckgo.com’; ‘search.yahoo.com’; ...

Direct Visit:

Trigger - Visits Web Page

Web Page is any
Querystring not contains in (14) ‘gclid’; ‘aclk’; ‘utm_medium=SocialAds’; ...
Referrer is empty

Anonymous
Not applicable

any chance you could share what those (14) and (5) values are? Or is there some doc to tell me what a gclid might be? I think I know, but don't know aclk...

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

A gclid and aclk are tracking parameters used by Google. If you do have this parameter in your url, it means it is coming from a google ad (text ad or banner ad).

Here are the values I used:

(14):

gclid

aclk

utm_medium=SocialAds

utm_medium=Display

utm_medium=Banner

utm_medium=PaidSearch

utm_medium=Social

utm_medium=Referral

utm_medium=Email

utm_medium=PR

utm_medium=PPC

utm_medium=CPC

utm_medium=SEM

utm_medium=Direct

(5)

google.

duckduckgo.com

search.yahoo.com

bing.com/search

studyshack.com/search

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much!

Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Michael Collins in a form submission the Referrer and Querystring are in the Form Fill Out activity, but their values are not captured in a lead field.  In the technique I described above, these values don't need to be in a field, just in the Form Fill Out activity, which allows the Fills Out Form trigger constraints to evaluate whether the Referrer and Querystring criteria are met.  If the lead qualifies for the smart campaign, then a Change Data Value flow action will change the Recent Source field value to 'Organic Search'. 

I gave a presentation at the recent Marketo Summit 2016 about this technique and the replay should be posted soon.  You can also see my slides at Building a Solid Foundation for Actionable Analytics_May11 - 051116

BTW - since Marketo has deprecated the Is Anonymous filter, you can remove those two from the smart list section.  The good news is the smart campaign will still process both anonymous and known leads without those filters and you can see the anonymous leads that were processed in the Results tab.  Once the lead becomes known, you can see the Recent Source field value that was set when the lead was anonymous.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Super useful. Thanks for posting.

I was just setting up my campaign, when i noticed marketo no longer has 'Is Anonymous' as a filter. Given the marketo changes, do we need this filter? If yes, can we use Anonymous IP is empty /not empty for False/true?