Landing page conversions different on report than in exported membership

Anonymous
Not applicable

Landing page conversions different on report than in exported membership

Hi,

I have a program with 3 landing pages and a landing page report that shows total conversions for all three. Since the reports don't show individual names, companies, etc., I periodically export the membership and forward it to colleagues so they can view where the conversions are coming from. 

The issue is that the number of conversions is much lower on the exported list than is displayed on the report, which also gets sent to them. How are they seeing 294 total conversions on the report, but only have a list of 240 people on the exported Excel sheet?

Possible Answer (?): I thought perhaps that some of the same people had filled out forms on more than one page, thus adding them together to increase the total on the report; whereas on the exported list they only show up as one individual. I don't believe this is accounting for the 50 or so in the discrepancy. 
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Landing page conversions different on report than in exported membership

Hi Jeff, 

I have noticed this same discrepancy many times as well, and can't come up with a better possible explanation than the one you've proposed above (plus the possibility of internal 'test form submissions' adding to the total)  But even accounting for this it never seems to add up.

Another scenario where this has happened to me in the past is where there are more submissions for the registration page of a webinar than there are actual registrants.

Would love to hear any other theories (from a Marketo employee?) as to why this seems to happen month after month..
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply, Nate. It puts me in tough spot of trying to explain the discrepancy. My colleagues want to know who the other 50 registrants are, and it makes me look dumb when I can only provide hypotheses. When I tell them that the exported list has the more accurate count, that makes the reports look fairly useless. I wish I knew what was happening, and you're right, the tests and internals do not come close to bridging the gap. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree 100%...

...calling Marketo employees to the rescue please?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone get a response from Marketo on this?  The number of landing page conversions in our reports are way off what we're actually seeing in terms of form fills.  Seems like others are experiencing the same issue:  https://community.marketo.com/marketodiscussiondetail?id=90650000000PtJqAAK
Lucia_De_Castro
Level 1

Did anyone found an answer for this? This post is 2yo but I have the same exact issue.

Wyatt_Bales4
Level 4

Hi Lucia,

For a more accurate report, most customers will create 2 channels; Email with Landing Page and Email without Landing Page. The statuses are different between the 2 with the ability to update success upon form fill-out. This allows a Program Performance report to show the overall number of people it was sent to vs the total number that navigated to fill out the form. And since you can only have 1 status, it will avoid some the data discrepancy others are seeing in this thread with the Landing Page Performance report.

I realize this doesn't address this thread's reporting issue but it's an great reporting method many enterprise customers use.