I got a recent issue with an email performance report, I need to report KPIs (sent, delivered, bounces, clicks, opens, and unsubscribes) in general and in the 2 partitions existing in the instance. For this purpose, I'm using the person partition filter in the smart list section of the report for each instance and removing the filter to get the general data.
The issue is that it is supposed that the sum of the KPI numbers of the 2 partitions should match the ones on the general numbers (without filter), and currently, they are not matching, actually, the difference is very big, sometimes even 50 to 70% between the report and the actual sum of the partitions KPIs.
Am I missing something? is this normal in the email performance reports?
Hi Omar - my initial thoughts were that the Workspace may not be seeing all the Partitions and the programs / emails that need to be in the email performance report. Or if it's just the email performance report being buggy (which I find happens often), it may be worth just creating a new report from scratch.
Thanks for the comment Mariah, the workspace is seeing all the partitions, I think it could be the second option of the report being buggy, cause I campare the results with database smart lists and the numbers are very different. What I'm doing is getting clicks and opens from the smart lists results and sends and deliveries from the email performance report (understand that Marketo could get deliveries info wrong in smart lists) I don't feel very confortable doing this, but it seems the best option so far.