SOLVED

Is there a way to remove someone from a mailing list, but not an email list?

Go to solution
Lalida_Sriyords
Level 3

Is there a way to remove someone from a mailing list, but not an email list?

Hi everybuddy,

We currently do both mail and email campaigns at our company but we have certain people who would like to be removed from the mailing list, but still receive emails from us.

The only option I know of right now is to 'remove from flow', which I am not sure would allow us to keep them on one list versus the other.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there a way to remove someone from a mailing list, but not an email list?

If i'm understanding your process correctly, I think the best option would be to create a field, maybe somthing like "Direct Mail Unsubscribe".

As people ask to be opted out of your direct mailing, you can mark that box true, or if you have a subscription center landing page, they could check it there. When you go to pull the lists, create a filter that states "Direct Mail Unsubscribe = False". Those who opted out should be excluded.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there a way to remove someone from a mailing list, but not an email list?

Hi Lalida,

How are you choosing the people that end up in the campaign? Are they all a part of one single campaign? A little more info on what your setup is can help determing the best way to segment the two groups.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you manage these lists separately, you might try locating the specific lead you would like to remove from your mailing list and and undetr the lead actions drop down, select "marketing>remove from list." From here you can select which lists the individual is removed from. 

Provide some more details on how you are managing these lists and I'll see if there is an alternative option. Happy to help.
Lalida_Sriyords
Level 3

Hi Caleb and Josh,

Thanks so much for your responses! We do not have a specific list for mailing and email. Since we are a University, we essentially send each student and inquiry a catalog each quarter and depending on what program(s) they may have previously been interested in, they receive email information regarding those programs throughout the quarter.

This particular person was imported into a list for an event that he had attended in which he gave us his information. We never emailed him anything yet, and he only wants to be taken off the mailing list (not the email list) so he does not receive the physical catalog.

I know the Marketo unsubscribe option just takes him out of the emails but I'm not sure what else we'd have to set up further so that we can separate them into no mail or no email.

Thanks again!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might consider the option of using custom fields to manage these individual's subscriptions to your direct mail campaigns. If you were to do this, you could pass this designation over to your CRM (if you are integrated with one) in order to manage the delivery of physical mail outside of Marketo. 

If you can provide details on how physical mail is distributed, I might be able to ellaborate further.

Lalida_Sriyords
Level 3

Thanks so much for your help - we have a really old CRM that we currently use but we are trying to phase out of it. We were hoping to be able to designate these people in Marketo but possibly the only way would be via a custom field?

Basically every quarter, we pull a list of the inquiries and students and export their addresses to a direct mailing company that then sends the catalogs out for us. We pull the list by targeting by zip codes within a specific mile radius of the university.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If i'm understanding your process correctly, I think the best option would be to create a field, maybe somthing like "Direct Mail Unsubscribe".

As people ask to be opted out of your direct mailing, you can mark that box true, or if you have a subscription center landing page, they could check it there. When you go to pull the lists, create a filter that states "Direct Mail Unsubscribe = False". Those who opted out should be excluded.
Lalida_Sriyords
Level 3

This is great! Thanks so much!