Import creating duplicates

June_Dean2
Level 1

Import creating duplicates

I want to update the product interest on a list of leads and then re-import them to change the value in Marketo. When I import the amended list it creates duplicates rather than amending the data.  I am using the Normal (Fast Import) option which should update the fields.  I have full admin rights and the field is not blocked from updates.  Any ideas?
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Import creating duplicates

Hi June, does your import list have the same email addresses in a column as the records that you're trying to update? Marketo dedupes/updates based on email address so having email address is a required field to update records and not create new ones.
June_Dean2
Level 1

Hi   - yes, it is an export from Marketo so has the field names too.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd probably reach out to support if new records are being created even when the email address column is in the upload list. That is an unexpected behavior, and shouldn't happen.
June_Dean2
Level 1

Thanks .. at least its not me just going mad!
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your are only updating one field, you could also deal with this using smart campaigns, I am not sure how many people you are dealing with.

Copy in the email addresses or the domains of the emails ( I am not sure if the product interest varies per company or per individual user) and change in the flow change the data value of the product interest.

Marketo should de-dup but it's always good to have a workaround when you run into these types of issues!

Hope that helps!

-Ryan

Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading through all of the responses, the only other thing I would suggest would be to make sure that when you are importing the list of records you are associating the 'email address' field in your spreadsheet with the CORRECT 'email address' field in Marketo. For a long time I would associate 'Email Address' to 'E-Mail' and end up with duplicate records - so make sure the correct field is being synced!