HTTP Post

Edward_Masson
Level 10

Re: HTTP Post

Hi Jep,
This is a great article, learned quickly to set this up. I've manged to POST successfully with Email, formid, munchkinId.

What I'm not understanding is the '_mkt_trk'. above in the article you state "if you have Munchkin on your form page" does this mean to place my marketo form onto a marketo landing page for the Munchkin to work?
I thought by your article that I dont need a landing page just a blank form to POST to.

Also, "If no, read it from the cookie with the same name and pass it to Marketo in this field" How do I set up to read it from the cookie?

Best,
Ed.

Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

_mkt_trk is optional and allows you to "cookie" the lead. You can read the value of the cookie via JavaScript or server-side scripting languages. However, if you simply add the munchkin tracking code your page and make sure there is a hidden field _mkt_trk, the munchkin code will put the Cookie ID in this field dynamically. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding quickly Jep.

I'm a little confused when you mention 'form'. Marketo form or something else?

Our 3rd-Party profider is going to POST leads to our form which is not being used on a landing page. I can't find '_mkt_trk' in Field Management to use on my form to make hidden.

I added '_mkt_trk' to my HTTP test plug in for Google Chrome. All works well, lead got created with 'filled out form' activities.

As you can tell I'm new to playing with HTTP POST.

Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Edward, your 3rd party provider will not have access to your tracking cookie, so you can't pass on the Cookie ID
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jep, thank you so much for spelling that out. You should transform this into an official knowledge base article!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Delinda, I've been trying that for 7 months, I will submit it again
Kenneth_Elking1
Level 3

Since this method has become quite a bit more popular, I just wanted to add a little extra information to the method that Jep provided.  There are three required parameters in the POST made to the Marketo Leadcapture URL.  These are case sensitive: 'formid' the ID of the form you want to appear in the activity log, 'returnLPId' should equal -1, and 'munchkinId' which is your Munchkin ID.
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

This article now has a permanent location here: 
http://community.marketo.com/MarketoResource?id=kA650000000GsXXCA0 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We've been successfully using this method to post leads into Marketo for about 1 year and we noticed over the last couple of weeks, that we've been receiving a HTTP 429 response ( Too Many Requests) after ~10 consecutive form posts from some of our external vendors.  Has something changed that would cause the server to timeout after multiple requests?  Maybe something in a recent release?  If there's a new timeout limit, how much time should we wait between posts?  Thanks, Brian.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are experiencing the same behavior (HTTP 429) when sending multiple posts in a row. Is there some kind of governor limits being put into place?