How to set up Smart List to handle all emails that haven't opened emails in last 12 months

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to set up Smart List to handle all emails that haven't opened emails in last 12 months

So I have a client that has sent out 10 emails to the same list. We want to create a new list of leads (or delete from original main list) that haven't opened any of those emails.

I set up a Smart List with the following (just using one email in the example).  Is this how you would set up the Smart List?

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 5.12.46 PM.png

6 REPLIES 6
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: How to set up Smart List to handle all emails that haven't opened emails in last 12 months

Hi Rob,

Yes, and you would have to add the other emails in the same filters.

BUT "Opened email" (or "Not opened email") is a dangerous filter to use. Marketo (as most of the other email or marketing automation products) cannot detect all opens, because it's based on the download of a 1 pixel image. If the addressee does not download images, Marketo will not know the email was opened. And for instance, outlook does not download images by default...

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to set up Smart List to handle all emails that haven't opened emails in last 12 months

Thank you. So when i completed this list it generated over 200K leads, which I don't think is correct.  I don't trust how I've set this smart list up, so I guess I should have started this with a simple question...

"How do I create a smart list to find out who hasn't participated (open and clicks) with emails over the past year?". 
I've determined that there are 9 emails total that have been sent.

Rachel_Noble
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hey Rob,

Are you trying to do this for all emails? If so, just set up something like this:

pastedImage_0.png

Add a filter "Was Delivered Email...is any."  Make sure to use ALL filters. Like Greg said, you can't trust this filter 100%, but it's about as accurate as you can get in any email client.

If you're trying to use only those specific 9 emails, you can add them all into the same filter. The "Not Opened Email"/"Not Clicked Link in Email" filters act as ANDs when you list multiple emails. Hope this helps!

Rachel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Rachel - i'm just trying to do this for a few particular campaign emails. All of those emails had the word "Advantage" in the email name.  Thanks for your help!

Rachel_Noble
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

No problem, hope this helps!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Rob,

Just provide a screen shot of your smart list, it will be easier to help you with this.

-Greg