How do you get additional information from distributors?

Lacy_Patrino
Level 2

How do you get additional information from distributors?

I have a list of existing customers that have been referred by our distributor sales representatives (DSRs), but the contact information doesn't include email addresses. I'd like to create a campaign targeting those DSRs with the call to action to provide email addresses for their contacts so we can reach out to their contacts with a new promotional offer on behalf of the DSR.

I'm thinking of a "refer a friend" campaign, but that would require the DSRs to enter information that they've already submitted a second time in addition to providing the email address that we really want. Ideally, we'd like to provide a list of the contacts that they've already submitted so they can update it, ensuring that we get email addresses for all of the contacts instead of relying on the DSR to remember everyone that they've submitted.

By supplying the contact email addresses, the DSRs are opting in for the promotion and giving us permission to contact our mutual customers on their behalf.

Has anyone built a similar program? What was your approach?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Re: How do you get additional information from distributors?

I don't know if this answers your question but what I have noticed is that Marketo is building its look up / key on email address. In other words if we load data without email address and then we want to populate email address, the only way we can do it (as far as I know) is to do it manually. Obviously we cannot populate fields via an email campaign and if leads fill out a form or if we load a second list, this will create duplicate as system doesn't recognize that Cécile Maindron and Cécile Maindron cmaindron@talend.com are same person... so for me I would suggest NOT to load any list w/o email address into Marketo.

Cécile
Lacy_Patrino
Level 2

Re: How do you get additional information from distributors?

Thanks Cecile!

I did try to manually create a lead without an email address and, obviously, it didn't work. HOWEVER, I have been testing and set up a .csv file with First Name, Last Name, Email Address and associated DSR information leaving the Email Address field blank.

Then I set up a trigger campaign based on the lead being added to a specific list which then sent an alert to the DSR Email Address using a token. This worked, but if the DSR had more than one lead, he/she only got the first alert for one lead.

I thought this was because the email addresses were blank, but all three of my test leads had blank email addresses, but were assigned to two different test DSRs. Each of my test DSRs received an alert, but the test DSR that had two leads only received one.

I'm going to try uploading the test leads assigned to that one test DSR at different times to see if that makes a difference - since my trigger campaign is set to run every time, but that's definitely not the optimal solution.