SOLVED

How do I unsync fields from Microsoft CRM Dynamics?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I unsync fields from Microsoft CRM Dynamics?

Hi guys,

There are a bunch of fields at the Lead level and Contact level in the CRM that I have synced with on Marketo. However, due to having differently Display Names in the CRM, Marketo has differentiated them as different fields (despite have the same schema name in CRM). Compared with other fields where the Display name is identical, Marketo have merged them together which is the desired result. 

I have edited the Display Names in the CRM so that it is identical between Leads and Contacts, and when I try to sync/unsync them, it is showing the correct name. However, the fields on the forms are still incorrect. 

Is there a way to 'unsync' the fields between MS Dynamic CRM and Marketo so that they are removed from the form? I'm aware of being able to hide fields on Marketo but I would like a resync so it detects the changes from CRM.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chon
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

Re: How do I unsync fields from Microsoft CRM Dynamics?

Hey Chon,

I think this isn't possible unless you can finagle a hand-shake deal with Marketo support. 

The integration between Marketo and a CRM (Dynamics or SFDC) watches for custom CRM fields and then creates duplicate fields in Marketo's lead database. When the CRM-side custom fields are updated, Marketo watches this and updates the mapped Marketo field (and vice-versa). There are also databases watching for those Marketo fields to be changed, which I believe is the reason that fields can't actually be deleted, only hidden—data integrity reasons, and too many dependencies on old fields and their change histories.

When I'm archiving old fields before hiding them, I change their names in the Admin section to prefix it with "ARCHIVED" so it doesn't get confusing in this context or later, then edit the field's description to say where it came form, why it was hidden, the date it's hidden, and the initials of the individual who hides the field. Note: you have to unbuild any "field used by" dependencies before this is editable. 

Best,

Edward Unthank | Founder, Etumos

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

Hey Chon,

I think this isn't possible unless you can finagle a hand-shake deal with Marketo support. 

The integration between Marketo and a CRM (Dynamics or SFDC) watches for custom CRM fields and then creates duplicate fields in Marketo's lead database. When the CRM-side custom fields are updated, Marketo watches this and updates the mapped Marketo field (and vice-versa). There are also databases watching for those Marketo fields to be changed, which I believe is the reason that fields can't actually be deleted, only hidden—data integrity reasons, and too many dependencies on old fields and their change histories.

When I'm archiving old fields before hiding them, I change their names in the Admin section to prefix it with "ARCHIVED" so it doesn't get confusing in this context or later, then edit the field's description to say where it came form, why it was hidden, the date it's hidden, and the initials of the individual who hides the field. Note: you have to unbuild any "field used by" dependencies before this is editable. 

Best,

Edward Unthank | Founder, Etumos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Edward,

Thanks for that, very informative 🙂 

Cheers,
Chon