How do I track visitors at the Ad / Individual level in Marketo and save that info to the contact in Marketo or Salesforce?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I track visitors at the Ad / Individual level in Marketo and save that info to the contact in Marketo or Salesforce?

For example:
I have an ad on google analytics that drives a visitor to a Marketo landing page.
Url:  http://domain.com?utm_source=somesource&utm_medium=somemedium&utm_campaign=somecampaign&utm_content=UniqueContent

They are on the Marketo landing page and click a button to start a free trial and clicking that button takes them to a new page NOT in Marketo where they fill out a form and submit to start a free trial.  When they click submit a new record is created in Salesforce.

They then 1 week later convert to a paid customer.

How do I match back that individual when they paid to the utm_content variable they originally came in through?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I track visitors at the Ad / Individual level in Marketo and save that info to the contact in Marketo or Salesforce?

If you have a program you are using to track visits from your online ads and have configured clicking the free trial button in the landing page as a Success progression status, then you should be able to see how many of your new leads from your online ads converted to a customer,  using the First Touch (FT) attribution metrics in a Program Opportunity Analysis report.  The person that clicked the free trial button will need to be added to the Contact Roles section of the Salesforce Opportunity for the attribution to occur.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I track visitors at the Ad / Individual level in Marketo and save that info to the contact in Marketo or Salesforce?

Just to be clear when the visitor clicks the free trial button on the marketo landing page the only thing that happens is they are redirected to a sign up page that is NOT on Marketo.  So the Free Trial button CTR is a metric we will track but is not a conversion.  The submit button on the preceeding sign up page is our conversion.  
The second part to that is how do I get the individual identifier of "utm_content=" to be matched to the new lead/contact on Marketo or Salesforce?
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be able to capture the conversion via an API call to Marketo on the non-Marketo landing page or by substituting a Marketo form for the one currently on the non-Marketo page using form embed code (Using Marketo forms on non-Marketo pages) or by displaying a Markeo landing page with a form on it via an iframe call from the non-Marketo page (Embedding a Marketo Form in a non-Marketo Landing Page using an iframe). 

If displaying the Marketo form in an iframe, you can pass the utm_content querystring value to it in the iframe call (
How to pass URL parameters to a landing page in an iframe).  Alternately, you can add javascript to the initial landing page that will create a cookie in which to store the utm_content value and then you can read that value into a hidden field on the form in the non-Marketo landing page.