How do I sync number of emails sent to the SFDC campaign?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I sync number of emails sent to the SFDC campaign?

I'd like to be able to sync the number of emails sent from a program to a field on the SFDC campaign. Here's my scenario:

• Email blast from Marketo sends to 289,489 leads
  • Marketo program is synced to an SFDC program using the native program sync
  • I want that 289,489 number from Marketo to sync over to the "NumSent" field on the SFDC campaign

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? I've attached a screen shot of the Marketo & SFDC fields I'm referring to. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 1.04.48 PM.png

3 REPLIES 3
Grant_Booth
Level 10

Re: How do I sync number of emails sent to the SFDC campaign?

Hi Ashley,

I don't believe there's a way to sync that value directly over without a pretty tricky workflow or apex trigger in SFDC.
What you can do is rely on program statuses instead - just sync the program that sends the email with an SFDC campaign, and have the lead's program status in Marketo change to "sent". Then that status will over to the corresponding "sent" status in the SFDC Campaign and you can run a report on how many campaign members have that status.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. We actually used to track the Sent, Delivered, etc statuses but we had so many programs with hundreds of thousands of members that it severely bogged down the syncing and activity logging process, so we stopped tracking most statuses.

Any idea if it's possible to at least get the "Sent" number from the email performance report to populate in a field somewhere in Marketo?

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no 'out of the box' way for Marketo to sync this 'reporting aggregate' data to SFDC.

Marketo - SFDC sync is mostly on an individual lead level. As Grant said, 'Campaign membership' information can be used to pass 'all the leads' for that campaign (and status) and then summarize in SFDC code.

As you mentioned, that is not an option as it chokes the Marketo-SFDC pipe especially if you have huge email batches. Also, it does not help if you only send MQL to SFDC and not every single lead that exists in Marketo.

Possible solution:

The only option is to build some custom mechanism to get this data in SFDC. This will involve some work (possibly Marketo API) on Marketo side to create service(s) and on SFDC side to query these services and get the latest numbers to show on the SFDC page. This reporting information sync should ideally happen in the background on a periodic basis. But this will involve some custom development.

Few months back, I did similar work to sync similar information from Marketo on to some SFDC custom tables and that approach worked pretty well. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Hope this helps....

Rajesh Talele