How do I remove anonymous leads from Web Activity reports or block reports of any traffic from semalt.com?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I remove anonymous leads from Web Activity reports or block reports of any traffic from semalt.com?

Our web activity report is peppered with anonymous leads from semalt.com/ crawler....   (the URL contains a variety of different characters in every lead after this.

All of the activity originates overseas and is junk.  I've tried filtering by excluding the traffic from our reports with
original referrer contains semalt.com but that does not work.

The only way I have been able to exclude the acticity is by including traffic from specific inferred countries but this could at times exclude legitimate traffic.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I remove anonymous leads from Web Activity reports or block reports of any traffic from semalt.com?

Hi Paula,
can't you filter it out using the Smart List and "Inferred Company" is not / not starts with ... ?

Best regards

Steffen
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I remove anonymous leads from Web Activity reports or block reports of any traffic from semalt.com?

Unfortunately, Semalt does not show up as the inferred company so that does not work.   No company is actually showing up but I can see from the URL what it is.  The hits literallly come from all over the world.

Thanks for the idea though.

Paula
Dina_Otero
Level 2

Hi Paula,
You can add an "is anonymous" filter and select False. This will only include known leads in your report.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dina,

Selecting false also excludes anonymous leads that have some identifying information.    We want to still see anonymous leads where is anonymous = true but we just do not want to see the dozens of hits by semalt.  Some other "anonymous" leads actually can b

My question may have been too vague.  The Http referrer in our website activity report appears as follows:

http://semalt.semalt.com/crawler.php?u=http://ourcompany.com

We want to not see anything at all that contains "...semalt.com..."

Semalt skews the referral stats so unless you block them in your htaccess file you might see an unusual and inaccurate jump in your website traffic stats particular if you have a low traffic site anyway.  

They are using IP address blocks from all over the world including South America, Europe and Asia.   Although filteringthe by inferred country is tempting its possible we could lose insight into legitimate traffic if we do that.  Is there anyway to block any http referrer that contains semalt.com?

Paula

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Paula,
until someone knows it I'll try it...

Smart List filter "Visited Web Page" -> "Web Page is any" -> "Referrer not contains semalt.com".... Does that work?

Did you try Original Referrer? But I think that's something different...

Best regards

Steffen