How do I add leads to different touches in the engagement program?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I add leads to different touches in the engagement program?

I built an engagement program with 10 touches. I want to be able to add leads to different parts of the program. I don't want to add them all to the top. Can someone suggest how I would do that. For example I have 50 people I want to add to touch 1 and 100 people I want to get touch 2 first...
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I add leads to different touches in the engagement program?

Hi Heather -  are these touches all within the same stream?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Emily!
Yes they are all in the same stream. I just want to be able to add leads at different points in the stream.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Heather!

This would be a bit simpler if they were in different streams, but I understand if you're in the situation where you get four programs with one stream. Here's how I would do it:
  • Create the stream and add a program inside of it that will contain all of your touches.
  • If you're pulling leads in as a list, this will be in the SmartList Step with static list (or SmartList if you're going that route to use criteria to draw leads already in Marketo) and it will make this a batch campaign. If you want it to continue onward, it should be a trigger and you'll need to put the criteria in there ... "Lead is created" "Lead score goes over 30" whatever that is.
  • You'll need a "master" or "traffic cop" campaign to tell Marketo which lead goes to what touch. To do this, add "Send Email" to the Flow Step and use "Add Choice" to create if/then logic. You can use whatever criteria here - job title, industry, etc. but I'll use lead score as an example.
  • Within the choice, do "If lead score is less than 30, send email 1" ... "if lead score is between 30 and 50 send email 2" ... "if lead score is over 300, send email 10" ... you get the idea...
With the Engagement Porgram being so new, I'll be very interested in to see if any experts or employees have a better way to accomplish this; otherwise, I hope this helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in a similar situation. We want to send whitepapers or case studies that our leads have not received before but I need a way to filter the leads who downloaded WP 1 (from our regular lead gen programs) will not get WP 1 from our nurturing stream. I don't think Marketo is smart enough to say if Lead A received WP 1, do not send WP 1 and send WP 2, since the language of the email is different from our regular lead gen programs vs nurturing programs.

I'm thinking the best way to approach this is-

1. Add a smart campaign in between each email (in the stream) and checks if a lead has received email contains WP 1, do not send WP 1 and proceed to WP 2

2. However, engagement module will not let me add stand alone smart campaign, does that mean I need to create a program for every smart campaign for each rule that I defined prior to sending them an email?