How do I add and execute an A/B Test on a email within a Default Program?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I add and execute an A/B Test on a email within a Default Program?

I've been looking everywhere for documentation on A/B Testing but only see instructions on applying A/B testing on a simple Email Program. Most of my programs are Default Programs with multiple emails and more complex flow steps. How do I add A/B Testing to a Default Program and execute it so it automatically sends to a test group then sends the winner like in an Email Program?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I add and execute an A/B Test on a email within a Default Program?

Chris,

Unfortunately the A/B testing functionality is only available with the email program type. However, there is a champion/challenger test functionality that can be performed on any email outside of an email program:

Add an Email Champion/Challenger - Marketo Docs - Product Doc

The functionality is not exactly the same, but you can fill in the gaps with an extra smart campaign or two.

I hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Andrew

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Chris, your best bet is to probably nest an email program within a default program if you really want to do a send to a smaller percentage of your list and then automatically send the winner after a certain amount of time. The issue with a champion/challenger email is that you can't automatically choose a winner to send to the remainder of your list.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This is true. You can however, manually declare a winner and set to send to the remainder of your list. You can also set up 2 streams and segment your send into a sample (ie 20% of the audience) and the remainder, each with the same emails in the same order with stream 2 sending after the test period so that when you declare the winner for your email test this is reflected in the stream that is being later sent to the majority of your list.  This streamlines the process and allows for minimal work between the test and the winner being sent, although an automated champion selection would be nice.

Thanks!

Wena

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I have a similar issue, we use Progression Steps like Delivered, Opened, Clicked, Filled out Form, etc. and we use Default Programs for this, because we then push only the people that clicked and filled out form into a Salesforce campaign through a Smart Campaign in the flow step. I want to use the Email program to be able to use the A/B test but when I use the A/B test, the smart campaigns can't seem to locate the email. For example if I have a trigger set up for Email is Delivered (Email is x), it can't find the x email if it is used within the A/B test in that program.

Any suggestions if we can use progression steps (smart campaigns) and A/B test together within an email program.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Sanaa Bhambri, have you used a constraint within the email is filter? I believe there's a constraint there for "version" or something similar related to testing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I think I got it to work, my test goes out tonight, we'll see how it

goes.

Thanks,

Sanaa

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Dory Viscogliosi <

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dory,

I've been trying to use a constrainst to see clicks on version A and B in my A/B test, but when I use the test variant constraint, the smart list returns no results. Have you ever seen this behavior?

Anonymous
Not applicable

There used to be instructions of how to do this leveraging static lists...can anyone help with the documentation on that?  Seems all my old bookmarks are gone from when the Community page moved