How Are You Using Progressive Profiling?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How Are You Using Progressive Profiling?

This is what I want to do: the first form ask for standard info (name, company, email, etc.) and would be 5 fields. The second form would ask for company size and industry - just 2 fields. And a 3rd form would ask for # of developers and current CI tool - again 2 fields. According to a consultant that we have paid, you cannot have progressive profiling built in Marketo where the first form has 5 fields, the second has 2 and the third has 2. All forms need to be the same number of fields. Is this true? Is anyone getting around this??

I also dont want to show a field if we already have the information. So if we have the company size, the form will dynamically change and show the person another field for information we dont have. Anyone doing this??

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Are You Using Progressive Profiling?

Your options with out of the box progressive profiling in Marketo are to indicate what field you want to show, and how many fields you want to show per form submission.

So for your first form, you can specify for the form to show 5 fields, and as long as the person is not already in your DB or has not filled out a form, they will all be empty. For your second form, it will again show 5 fields, as well as any field you indicate to always show.

Here is a screenshot of your options when setting up your progressive profiling. I think with some custom javascript you can accomplish what you are looking for above, but not with out of the box Marketo.

Hope that helps!

0EM50000000QZFK.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second Pierce. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I would suggest keeping email visible at all times to mitigate the risks of missing details in specific circumstances. 
Internet Explorer implicity disables JavaScript when users set security settings to high, unaware of that side effect.
Most browsers require explicit changes. 

It is also beneficial to ensure JavaScript is enabled when Progressive Profiling is active.
That is for a reason: Progressive Profiling hides known fields and, as consequence, suppresses the required flag.

When users access the form from a different browser or device Progressive Profiling will remain active even though Marketo cookie and/or URL parameters are unavailable. There is a possibility of blank fields being submitted.

The combination of exposed email address and JavaScript prevents blank submission and spambots.

Preventing Spambots from form fillouts

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont know how to write javascript and I dont have budget to hire someone for this. Im a former Eloqua user and you dont need Javascript to customize progressive profiling (Im trying to mimic what I built in that platform but Im using Marketo now). 

So I need to come up with 5 fields to show for every form for progressive profiling. Seems like overkill. 

Thanks anyways. I had a feeling it was the limitation of the software and just wanted confirmation. Looks like we cannot do progressive profiling in a best practice manner with Marketo unless you are a coder who knows Javascript or want to increase form abandonment rates by asking too many questions every time someone wants to download something. Oy!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Christina,

Although you can't control the number of fields shown on every submission, you can control how many you want to show. I have had really good success using 3 fields per form submission. Might be a happy medium.

Keeping email visible is definitely a better user experience, I think it would look funny if there is just a form with your company name and number of employees. Email makes it seem like you are adding information to your record.

I was a former Eloqua user before I started using Marketo as well. It definitely takes some getting used to, but in the long run I am confident you will come around 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was planning to use email as a re-confirmation on every form - no problem there. But - I want to capture more than 3 fields on the 1st form. If I only have 3, I am limited to First name, Email and Company for example. Since email is always required - I dont want first, last and email - I need company. I am trying to find a compromise but I keep hitting walls.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a question, how can I hide the first name and last name, if it is already filled out, and I just want to show, Email which is pre-filled and another field which is the progressive field.

Is that possible without extra java coding?