Help with Scoring Setup

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with Scoring Setup

Im in the process of building our lead scoring and Im wondering about the smart campaign setup for this.

I have this scenario for example:

Email Activity Click Link last 7 days 10
Click Link last 14 days 5
Click link last 30 days 2

Do I need to create 3 smart campaigns within scoring for this? How do I control that the person maxes out at 10 points when it's related to email activity so they are not getting 10 points every time they click a link in last 7 days? 

I also have similar hierarchy for high value content viewed. Just not sure how to build this. Thanks!!!
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with Scoring Setup

Hi Christina,

Here are a couple of great resources to get you started.  The Difinitive Guide to Lead Scoring used to be available in Community sorry, had to give you a link to the Marketo.com site.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Carlyn,

I dont need to learn about lead scoring, what I need is how to setup my algorithm within Marketo. I have a spreadsheet of criteria for behavioral and demographic with the highest potential of a score of 100 in each. I want to then apply an alpha/numeric score as the final. So we would have A1 - D4. The letter would be the demographic score and the number would be based on the behavioral score. 

I may need to engage a Marketo consultant - just wasnt sure if anyone in the community built something like this.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Christina,

For your email activity scoring, I would definitely recommend building three different smart campaigns. The benefit is the ability to track each score separately to see how many members you get coming through.

To ensure they are not getting 10 points every time they click a link in last 7 days, you can set the qualification rules in the smart campaign to run leads through once every 7 days.

Hope this helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would that reset the points though? So it would take away the 10 if they havent clicked in 7 days?
Anonymous
Not applicable

This one is challenging, but I think I've come up with a solution, if this isn't exactly what you were looking for, hopefully you can tweak it to fit your needs.

The best thing I can come up with - that has no loop holes or double counting:

1. Create a custom field called "Clicked in Email in Last Value Days" or whatever you want it to be called.
2. To prevent the double-counting you were concerned about you'll have to subtract the score before assigning new ones however often you want the value updated.
    So you'll need campaigns which:
        A. Subtracts 10 if the custom field's value was 7.
        B. Subtracts 5 if the custom field's value was 14.
        C. Subtracts 2 if the custom field's value was 30.
3. Three campaigns would then run (after subtracting the score), IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER, and designate the value of this field.
    A. If the lead has clicked a link in the email in the last 30 days, give it the value "30",
    B. If the lead has clicked a link in the email in the last 14 days, give it the value "14",
    C. If the lead has clicked a link in the email in the last 7 days, give it the value "7"
4. Then you'd want campaigns which assign new scores.
    A. If the custom field value is 30, add score 2
    B. If the custom field value is 14, add score 5
    C. If the custom field value is 7, and score 10

I'm afraid that's the best I can come up with. It involves a lot of campaigns, so it wouldn't be very practical if you had a significant number of leads you were running this through. I'm pretty new, so hopefully there's a better method someone else can come up with.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worth noting that if someone entered a value manually for the custom field, like "9" or "13" that would ruin the algorithm.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't tested this, but I think you can run this all from one campaign.  I assume you want the score to change based on the number of days rather than provide positive scores for new actions on old links.

--
Smart campaign criteria:
Clicks link

Flow:
Add 10 points
wait 7 days
subtract 5 points
Wait 16 days
subtract 3 points

Run flow every time

--

This campaign would score appropriately for a single click.  For multiple clicks, I'm not sure how it would handle the score, so I'd recommend testing with shorter wait steps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that if you changed the schedule from "run flow every time" to run every 7 days, that would at least be pretty close to what she wants. The trouble is that you could still get double counting - someone clicks a link, then clicks a link again a week later, then their score will be 10 - 5 + 10 = 15, exceeding the 10 point limit.