SOLVED

Re: Hard Bounces vs. Email Invalids

Go to solution
Meredith_DAmbri
Level 2

Hard Bounces vs. Email Invalids

Can anyone tell me the difference between a hard bounce and an email invalid and which one causes Marketo to not send to that email address again?

I thought that after one hard bouce a record became unsubscribed, but the activity I see is that they change to email invalid. However, I see more hard bounces than email invalids, so I am wondering under what circumstances a hard bouce is changed to an email invalid.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Meredith,

This is something we've been working through recently, so hopefully I can provide some insight to what I've found -- especially since it isn't very clear in Marketo.

There are 3 types of hard bounces that Marketo registers:
  • Email Incorrect - this email address doesn't exist - email invalid is set to true
  • Anti-Spam Block - Marketo suspends sending of emails to this address for 24 hours - email suspended is set to true
  • Technical Issues - email bounced for an unknown reason, can attempt resend immediately
Email Invalid means that the email address doesn't exist (whether due to email, or domain), and Marketo will never attempt to email to that address again.

There's more information in this discussion: Need more detailed information about email bounces which was where I found this information.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Meredith,

This is something we've been working through recently, so hopefully I can provide some insight to what I've found -- especially since it isn't very clear in Marketo.

There are 3 types of hard bounces that Marketo registers:
  • Email Incorrect - this email address doesn't exist - email invalid is set to true
  • Anti-Spam Block - Marketo suspends sending of emails to this address for 24 hours - email suspended is set to true
  • Technical Issues - email bounced for an unknown reason, can attempt resend immediately
Email Invalid means that the email address doesn't exist (whether due to email, or domain), and Marketo will never attempt to email to that address again.

There's more information in this discussion: Need more detailed information about email bounces which was where I found this information.
Meredith_DAmbri
Level 2

Thank you!