Gmail image caching

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmail image caching

Has anyone seen a drop in Gmail opens since they (Gmail) began image caching?  I'd like to know if Marketo's open detection has been effected at all.  

Thank you!
Aimee
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gmail image caching

I am volunteering for a non-profit. We use GMail and Google Docs to simplify document sharing, calendaring and messaging.

Geo-location is now reporting the Google's server.

The single pixel image tracks the first unique visitor. Tracking is tending to zero since we are all located in the same city and district, often connecting through the same ISP.

That is a new challenge for all of us in marketing automation and mass mailings alike.

Fiding another metric is going to be a cat and mouse game.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Aimee,

I'm part of Marketo's Privacy Team. We handle email deliverability & compliance. One of the things we do is figure out issues like this. We have been doing some testing on this. We know that some opens are coming through just fine, but we don't yet have all the details to give you a definitive answer.

I would be interested to see what you're seeing in your own campagin statistics. Do you see a drop in opens? If you'd like to share confidential details, examples, or campaigns we should look at in our testing, drop me a line. I'm autumn@marketo.com.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi wondering if there are any definative answers yet on the imaging caching in Gmail. Also does the tracking pixel always have the same URL for every send - so are we definately getting affected?
Anonymous
Not applicable

We do have an answer. It looks like we're not seeing any negative effect, and we actually expect the situation to improve because Google is now turning images on by default! Check this posting here for more information: http://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PjhzAAC