Full sync versus data changes between Marketo and SFDC

Frank_Elley
Level 3

Full sync versus data changes between Marketo and SFDC

Looking to clarify some use cases. Let's assume there are no configuration issues, such as permissions getting in the way. If bi-directional sync is turned on and is working normally for all fields:

- When some field values do not match between Marketo and SFDC. Let's say a custom field, Alpha, is XYZ in SFDC and ABC in Marketo. In SFDC, someone changes the Title field from Manager to Director. Marketo gets the update of the Title. However, it appears the Alpha field is untouched. These two values are still different Only *changes* are syncing; there is not attempt to full synchronize all fields; it's just getting that single recent update. Correct? This appears to be the case in reverse. Update title to CFO in Marketo, and SFDC gets that update. But the Alpha fields remain untouched.

- From Marketo, you run a SFDC Sync. Do you expect all values in all fields to be updated? Or is there an extra step to ensure all values are identical?

- From SFDC to Marketo. Any way to have all SFDC values update back down to Marketo?

As they say, questions don't occur in a vacuum. I'm troubleshooting some sync issues.

Yesterday, I ran a "Change Data" action (from a smart list, select all, run Change Data). I did the equivalent of changing the Alpha custom field from ABC in Marketo to XYZ.

24 hours later ... changes not made. SFDC never got them. That field is still blank. Even when I then select a lead and run SYNC Lead to SFDC, still no joy. The field value in SFDC is still blank.

New leads gathered via web and import are being properly processed and sync'd to SFDC. But I don't know the extent to which updates are being missed.

I have support tickets in to both Marketo and our own SFDC team (who hasn't made an config changes lately that would affect sync). Any recommendations on where to look?

3 REPLIES 3
Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Full sync versus data changes between Marketo and SFDC

Frank Elley

That's curious. I wonder how the field values between Marketo and SFDC became unmatched in the first place.

My understanding is that during a sync, Marketo evaluates the records for which SystemModStamp has been updated since the last sync and then will compare field values and update any that don't match in either system with the most recent values.

For Leads, Marketo wins in any conflicts (if data is updated in both systems during the sync interval) and for Contacts, Salesforce wins. Either way, you would expect them to become synchronized with the same value.

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/SFDC+Sync+Details

I know you said to discount this possibility but it really feels like a permissions error to me. If the sync user formerly had field rights on field Alpha and then they were removed, this would be the expected result -- that the field is visible in Marketo but no changes actually sync down to SFDC. Have you investigated that possibility?

If you create a new lead with field Alpha populated, will it sync to SFDC?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI all,

I fully concur with Justin, it does look like a permission error.

Slight difference : my understanding is that in case the record has been updated on both ends, SFDC always win (leads and contacts).

-Greg

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Gregoire Michel

I would have thought so too, but in checking the documentation just now before responding, I noted that the docs now clarify this point:

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/SFDC+Sync%3A+Lead+Sync

What if changes are made in both systems at the same time?

Marketo Wins. It's rare that this sort of collision of data occurs.

I can only guess the logic here is that Marketo is the system of record for leads and SFDC is for contacts.