'Forward to a friend' functionality within an app

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

'Forward to a friend' functionality within an app

Our events team has created a mobile app to be used for some of our strategic events.  It's already integrated into our Marketo environment (tracking registrants, etc.).  Once of features they want to provide is for that ability for a user to share a recipe for some of the gourmet meals that will be served at the events:

pastedImage_0.png

It would require a custom 'forward to a friend' capability.  I would think once the emails are submitted, we would need to parse each email into it's own lead record (and de-dupe against existing ones, if existed), send out the email and then mark the lead (if new) as unsubscribed - just like Marketo does.  Does that sound about right?

I'm thinking this is more work than what it's worth, but should we proceed with it, I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track from a development perspective.

2 REPLIES 2
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: 'Forward to a friend' functionality within an app

HI Dan,

Amusing one.

A few thoughts to help shape it:

• The lead addition and dedupe will have to use the REST API or the forms 2.0 API. Although I am not sure of the possibility to use the forms 2.0 on mobile and the REST API should be only used on server, not on the mobile devices.
  • In order to send the email to the friends, you will have to trigger a smart campaign that will have to exist on Marketo side.
  • You can set the email to use a token that contains the recipe and you can populate the token from the mobile app, as the request campaign API (Request Campaign » Marketo Developers ) enable to set token values for the campaign. The interest is that the same campaign and email will work for all the recipes.
  • Depending on local regulations and on the audiences, the systematic unsubscribe might not be mandatory in all countries, but will be in most North American and European ones.
  • If order to set the unsubscribe, you might use the same smart campaign as above

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: 'Forward to a friend' functionality within an app

Thanks Greg - very much aligned to my thinking (all of the processing, assembling of emails with tokens and distribution via smart campaigns).  I still think it's more work than what it's worth.  I can see providing a way for the user to save the recipe within the app; or even email it to themselves - but not their friends.