Form submission with existing e-mail address creates new lead?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form submission with existing e-mail address creates new lead?

This article states:

When a new lead enters Marketo from

•a form fillout
•SOAP or Munchkin API call, or
•List Import

Marketo automatically searches for a lead with the same email address.  If that lead exists, the existing lead is updated instead of creating a duplicate.

Which makes perfect sense.  Except that I just created my very first form, submitted it and:

0EM50000000QAPD.jpg

There I am, twice.  As far as I can see, no typos in my e-mail address.  So how could this have happened?  I submitted the form a few more times, and then it DID update the newly created lead record, but it never seemed aware of the original lead record (which was manually entered some time ago).
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Re: Form submission with existing e-mail address creates new lead?

Most commonly, duplicate leads originate from the CRM system (Salesforce or MS Dynamics) or through manual lead creation in Marketo. Are you sure the lead was created via the form submission? Maybe the record already existed, then you manually created a duplicate through manual lead creation, and finally - the form submission simply found the most recently updated Lead and updated that? 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Form submission with existing e-mail address creates new lead?

We don't use Salesforce etc, but the other scenario you suggest is possible.  I'm pretty sure I manually created a lead record for myself at some point just after I'd been given user access a few months ago, and probably without checking to see if it already existed. So Marketo allows you to create duplicates when you insert someone manually?  I would have assumed it would have checked for a pre-existing e-mail there too...

I guess I will just have to watch the results when we launch the form on our website and see if the same problem re-occurs, or if it was just someting that affected me and my records.

Thanks for your help.

Victoria