SOLVED

Re: Filtering SF Contact Roles

Go to solution
John_Wolf1
Level 3

Filtering SF Contact Roles

I am trying to send emails to names with specific Contact Roles in SalesForce. I have synced the Contact Role field in Marketo, but when I filter for a specific role, I get all the names from every account where someone there has that contact role. I can't see a way to isolate just the person with the role. Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi John,

I think that things are a little more complex than just a field. This "contact role" is not a field, it's a custom object that provides a link in SFDC between accounts and contacts.

The problem is that the table can be mapped in Marketo from the contact or from the account (admin -> Salesforce Objects Sync). I am quite sure that in your case it has been mapped from the account, which is the wrong end of the link. Because of this, when setting the filter, you in fact select all the accounts that have at least one contact with this contact role, and from there, you select unwittingly all the contacts in these accounts.

-Greg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi John,

Unless you combine the contact role with other filters, such as the account name (company name in Marketo) what you are observing seems normal behavior to me.

Can you be more explicit so that we can help you?

-Greg

John_Wolf1
Level 3

Thanks Gregoire,

For example:

1. We have a contact role in SalesForce called "HIS Contact."
  2. I make a smart list and drag the filter for "Has Account Contact Role" to the workspace.
  3. I add the constraint "Role Is HIS Contact"

I would expect this smart list to show me all the HIS Contacts in our SalesForce, which is probably about 100 names. Instead it shows me every name at every company that has an HIS contact -- thousands of names! How do I get a smart list that yields only the actual HIS Contacts?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi John,

I think that things are a little more complex than just a field. This "contact role" is not a field, it's a custom object that provides a link in SFDC between accounts and contacts.

The problem is that the table can be mapped in Marketo from the contact or from the account (admin -> Salesforce Objects Sync). I am quite sure that in your case it has been mapped from the account, which is the wrong end of the link. Because of this, when setting the filter, you in fact select all the accounts that have at least one contact with this contact role, and from there, you select unwittingly all the contacts in these accounts.

-Greg

John_Wolf1
Level 3

Thanks Gregoire! You are the man!