SOLVED

Field Security

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Field Security

Is there a way to have a field, once populated once, become locked for editing? So that future updates does not impact it?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Field Security

Fields are blocked or unblocked in field management section in admin.  You can't flip that anywhere else, it's either on or off.  The default handling of a blocked field is such that it will accept any first-time value, but then block any updates if they're from a blocked source (again, that is configured in field management).
So you want to request of your local admin that the field in question be blocked from updates, and you have a variety of sources to choose any/all of to block (you can block for flow-actions, or for list imports, or both, etc).
Search for blocked fields here in the community, that should help inform more.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gio
You can block field updates from certain types of Input Sources from within Field Management in the Admin Section.
Select the field in question and then select "Field Actions" > "Block Updates"

This will then allow you to select which inputs you would like to block.

Hope that helps

Simon
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Simon, thanks for your suggestion. I can't seem to figure out how to add this to a trigger campaign. Meaning, once this particular field is updated once, I want my campaing to change that field's status to "Block Updates'. is this feasible?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fields are blocked or unblocked in field management section in admin.  You can't flip that anywhere else, it's either on or off.  The default handling of a blocked field is such that it will accept any first-time value, but then block any updates if they're from a blocked source (again, that is configured in field management).
So you want to request of your local admin that the field in question be blocked from updates, and you have a variety of sources to choose any/all of to block (you can block for flow-actions, or for list imports, or both, etc).
Search for blocked fields here in the community, that should help inform more.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CraiGrr, Just to ensure that I fully grasp what you are saying:  

- Let's assume I have a field called Program. It is currently empty. I want it formated in such a way that once it is populated once,  it no longer accepts any updates from list import ...etc. So I go to the admin section and block updates from List import for this field. Now I have two leads: John Doe I and John Doe II. John Doe I has in the program field "Booyah". Now that updates from list has been blocked for the Program field, say I upload a list that has both John Doe I and John Doe II, is it safe to assume that only John Doe II's program field will be updated? 

Thanks,

Gio
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you've got it.  A blocked field will only accept a value from a blocked source if it is empty, it will not overwrite any existing data.
And, further, you can set up a block on a field such that it only blocks 'untrusted' list imports.  Then, in list imports, you can select if the source is trusted or untrusted, so if you want to overwrite a field with a 'trusted' list import you can do that without having to fiddle with field management.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!