Engagement Program: Sent Vs Received

Mark_Farnell
Level 5

Engagement Program: Sent Vs Received

I haven't been able to find a clear definition of how engagement programs decide whether or not to send a piece of content to a lead.

Is it sent or delivered?

If delivered, is the lead is stuck at that step, until the content is moved in priority or de-activated/removed from the stream

How do I track this in the engagement program?  Presumably I can run a report somewhere to show all leads sent but not delivered and then run a data cleanse on those email addresses?

When I use programs for content I update status of the program to sent/delivered/opened/clicked, thereby making the person a member of a program.  I have read that doing this might not be best practice - if I use the program for a different engagement program then all those which were sent and not delivered would not be sent again. Should I only make them members of the program if the email has been delivered?

Does this mean the logic of the engagement program is different for standalone emails vs programs?
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Engagement Program: Sent Vs Received

Hi Mark,

As I understand it, it's pretty straightforward. If a lead enters an engagement program -- let's say Stream 1, which has 5 emails in it -- they start receiving those emails according to the stream and the cast schedule. Marketo checks to see if that lead has been sent that email before (via the email id). Delivered is not relevant, since Marketo can't control that (it's dependent on the message sent back to Marketo from the recipient's email server)....The only logic that is different in an engagement program is this "check" for email being sent to this lead. If the lead HAS been sent this email, then they are sent the NEXT email in the sequence that they haven't been sent....

For program membership in an engagement program, all you need to do is create a campaign in the program that includes the "add to engagement program" flow step and then specify the streeam.

Hope that helps,

Jono
Mark_Farnell
Level 5

that is really useful, thanks, I guessed it was sent but in some of the videos the speaker talks about "the lead has recieved".

Follow up question though, in the program, because it is being used across multiple engagement programs, I want to use program status to see the total sent/delivered/opened/clicked for that program.  Am I getting too complicated? 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah -- it can get confusing -- delivered is really outside of Marketo's control in this sense....

For the other question -- why not just look at email performance or engagement metrics for those email stats? I find that cleaner than program status for those types of numbers.....