SOLVED

Engagement Program Based on Inactivity

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Engagement Program Based on Inactivity

We have a series of 3-4 emails promoting a new site we created.  We'd like to send out an email, and then basically, send them out in 1-2 week intervals after that. We'd like to see if we can do a type of engagement program and basically, every week, if the person has not visited the site for the past week or two weeks, they will get sent the next email. However, if they have visited the site, it holds off on sending that email until next week.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Engagement Program Based on Inactivity

Hey Josh. 

Think about this from the standard approach. Make your Engagement program, include 3-4 emails in it. Set the cadence to be every whatever weeks. 

Then create a smart list, visits web page contains NEWURL.com. Then when they do, either remove them from the Nurturing Program. Or if you only want to pause them a few extra weeks, then in your visited webpage contains's smart campaign, change the flow step to "Change Cadence in Nurturing Stream to Paused. Wait XX time, Change Cadence to Normal"..

Make sense?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Josh. 

Think about this from the standard approach. Make your Engagement program, include 3-4 emails in it. Set the cadence to be every whatever weeks. 

Then create a smart list, visits web page contains NEWURL.com. Then when they do, either remove them from the Nurturing Program. Or if you only want to pause them a few extra weeks, then in your visited webpage contains's smart campaign, change the flow step to "Change Cadence in Nurturing Stream to Paused. Wait XX time, Change Cadence to Normal"..

Make sense?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Adam!

The second option definetly makes sense. From my understanding, the first option would remove the person from the engagement program for good, which we want to follow up with emaisl if it's been a while since they've been to the site. So the second options looks like a good fit.

Do you know, if the person keeps visiting the site, will it keep resetting the wait time? Or will the person be put back as normal once the first trigger has been thrown?

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely the first option is if you want them to stop getting emails once they hit the site. If it is anything but that then you'll want to go with the 2nd option.

Good question Josh. You can write logic to prevent that. It defintiely gets a bit more complicated as you start to do so, but you can add someone onto a static list & while changing them to paused. Then you can wait 2 weeks & request a campaign. In the new campaign you can see "Are they still paused & are they on the static list"  if so, then you can change them back to normal & remove them from the list. 

It can be done, it just requires some thought into how to do it. If you do leave it in the way I first suggested, it will remove them at the end of 2 weeks. So if once a week for three weeks you add them to the paused function, then they would become unpaused after the first 2 week period, not at the last one. 

Sorry, a bit complex, but completely doable as long as you think through your process. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Adam, thanks!

I'm a bit confused though. If they are added to a static list and set to pause, no matter what, when you recheck the list and check the engagement program status, won't they still be the same from when they were set, regardless of the website activity from the initial point to the rechecking?

For example, if Joe Schmoe gets the first email, goes to the site, he gets put on the list and put on pause. Wait two weeks, then check to see if he's on the list and check if he's paused still. Well, even if he visited the day before two weeks, he's still going to be on that list and still paused, right?

But what I'm thinking, I could have a campaign run that could run every week before the engagement cadence, checking the pause status and checking a smart list that is a list of those who haven't visited the site for 2 weeks. If both are true, it sets it to normal. And then, if they visit the site, I have a trigger campaign that puts them on pause.  Thoughts on that?

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh. Being confused is great. Most people would not understand enough to be confused. So you're on a great track. 

What I didn't discuss was how to denote those who look a second time. So you're right that you can probably do specifically what you stated. I think there are several ways to tackle that, but what you're thinking should probably be good.