Email link performance vs. Clicked link in email

Anonymous
Not applicable

Email link performance vs. Clicked link in email

I ran the email link performance report.  It tells me that 5 people clicked the "mailto" link in my email.   To determine who actually clicked that link, I also set up a smartlist using the "clicked link in email" filter.    I entered the proper email, and added a constraint for the mailto link .  The smartlist tells me that no one clicked that link.

Why does the report say 5 and the smartlist say 0?
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Email link performance vs. Clicked link in email

Hi Sandy,
Since this could be result of many things, it will be hard to get an exact answer without access to your instance. I would suggest to open a Support Ticket and the Marketo Support Engineers will be able to help you out quickly.

Will
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sandy,

Something similar happened to me a few months ago.  It turned out that the program wasn't recording the movement through the status steps.  It didn't affect the actual performance of my campaign and we did have successes, but for some reason we couldn't see them easily using a smartlist.  Will is correct - contact support to be certain, but it could be as easy as adding flow steps to your programs to ensure that your reporting reflects what is actually happening.

Good luck!
Patty
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sandy. Can you change "Clicked link" (IS)  to (Contains) ... A lot of time the Marketo tracking added onto the URL makes it not show up under IS but will be picked up using Contains.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sandy, please let me know what you find out.

This is something we have noticed too. We just assumed that the 'Email Link Performance" report is showing how many links were clicked, and the filer shows the number of people who clicked. However, your report is showing 0 so that stumps me. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just heard back from Marketo Support.  It's actually a version of Adam's answer.  Accordig to Marketo: "Please be aware that the mailto is not tracked the same way as other links within emails."  

I needed to change "clicked link IS" to "clicked link CONTAINS" (as Adam suggested) then only list "mailto" in the other box.  You should not choose the entire mailto link that pops up in your picklist; only the word "mailto."