Email Invalid field reset?

Peter_1_Kim
Level 2

Email Invalid field reset?

Would anyone happen to know if the "Email Invalid' field at the lead record would ever reset back to false whenever the lead's email record was updated accurately? Our Marketo instance is currenty synced to our Salesforce instance and whenever one of our reps was to make an update to a lead's incorrect email address in Salesforce, I was wondering what steps we could take (on an ongoing operational level) to ensure that the same lead's record will now have have 'Email invalid' to be reset to false so that they won't be blocked from any subsequent email campaigns/flows?
Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Email Invalid field reset?

I just did delivery testing on my invalid emails, and discovered half were actually good - this was affecting webinar confirmations, autoresponder delivery and more. So in this case, I set up a daily recurring batch program to look for my test result field flag "Deliverable" and if that was the value, it automatically reset the email invalid field value to "false".

I think you could have a data field in salesforce like "email updated by sales" and if this value was = yes or something, a Marketo data program could reset the email invalid to false.

I'm lucky because our solutions include testing tools to identify the false undeliverables - for me it was nearly 7,000 names that had the email invalid flag set - yikes! I was happy to restore them.

Good luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Along those lines, you can create a data management campaign in Marketo.

Smart List:
  • Trigger - Data Value Changes: Email Address
  • Filter - Email Invalid: is true
Flow:
  • Change Data Value: email invalid -> false
Schedule:
  • run flow every time
Anonymous
Not applicable

We do exactly what Graham suggested and it works perfectly for us.
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

@Graham, do you recommend making the Invalid Cause NULL for those that bounced invalid?  Otherwise, You might have an invalid false, but then the invalid cause is still there. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michelle,

You bring up a good point. The reason I didn't include that (which I often do), is for analysis reasons.  Often, marketers want to be able to do some digging on what the primary reasons are for their invalid emails. If you wipe out the reasons, then you wont be able to pull the data.  It wont hurt you either way though.  I just like to have more data than less.
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your input.  Actually the reason why I brought it up is because there were a few times when our sales replaced the invalid emails with corrected emails and the invalid cause was still there, and causes a lot of confusion for us. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right - depends on your audience.  I'd pull my data at regular intervals for analysis, then null out the invalid cause field manually after pulling the list.  That would let me see the primary reasons in a simple sort in Excel for a month, qtr, yr etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I particularly like to compare bounce reasons and lead sources.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a related question. 

1. I add an email to a campaign (6 email campaign)
2. The email is invalid
3. I update the email in SFDC and uncheck the "email invalid". This now syncs with Marketo and shows the email as valid

My question is, when they received the first email in the campaign, the email was invalid and therefore they never received the email. I've now updated their email, so it is correct. SFDC and Marketo show the email as valid, so how do I automatically resume emailing them via the campaign? This doesn't seem to happen automatically when I fix their email. Marketo only shows them as a member of that campaign, but hasn't triggered to resend the emails.